New Members ( Introduce Yourself)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Rancherous, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Joelster7

Joelster7 In First Gear

It has leather seats from out of a Mercury Marauder...circa 2004, maybe? Working on getting the damn thing to run good....it has an Edelbrock Carb and intake on it now...maybe some MSD ignition this year?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. Joelster7

Joelster7 In First Gear

I have a rechargeable guitar amp that comes into my store with me. The car stereo is open in the back, so when you play through the speakers on the sides...it blends pretty good. I am hoping to dial in the carb or replace it this year...maybe MSD, too. I want it to GO when you step on it.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes on electronic ignition, doesn't need to be hayzoo like MSD, but just electronic.

Joelster7 likes this.
  4. Joelster7

Joelster7 In First Gear

"hayzoo?"

5. handy_andy_cv64

'Hayzoo' refers to something with too many features, too many bells and whistles than are necessary for good operation.

Joelster7 likes this.
  6. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

Hey guys, I know I signed up for this forum some time ago. Not sure if I ever said hello? Hi!! I am currently working on Restoring/Upgrading my old 1979 Ford Ranchero 500 that my grandfather gave me many years ago. It's got a 351M (Not the best engine to have I know), that I have been upgrading completely. Bored out a .3, upgraded damn near everything in the engine except the Crank and connecting rods (I couldn't find any connecting rods aftermarket). I also have had the trans rebuilt, it's the FMX. I know I should of changed it up to a C4, but I want to keep it somewhat original.

I am looking for a side marker light replacement for the drivers side and haven't had any luck finding one. If anyone has some information on where to find one it would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Kris

7. handy_andy_cv64

Not a C4 for it. Use a late '70s to early '80s C6 from a 2WD truck, because some had the 335-series (351M/400) and 385-series (460) engines. The C4 may have a removable bellhousing, but there is not one available to mate a C4 to a 'big block.'

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Kris S. likes this.
  8. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

I appreciate the info! If I decide to go that route I now know :) I just rebuilt the FMX trans to keep it original parts for now. I plan to run it at the drags for fun here in Tucson. I still need to redo the diff to step up the gearing. That's my last step in the drive train. I still want to keep it street enough, just glad I live out of the city in order to bypass emissions laws.

9. handy_andy_cv64

The FMX is really not all that great a gearbox. But if you're just going to use it till you use it up, you might as well have its replacement ready to go. As my friend Joe (Landyacht) and I put the 351M from his LTD parts car into his '73 Galaxie cop car, it appears the flex plate is the same between the FMX and C6 applications, so you won't have to swap it unless it went bad, and the starter will bolt to the C6 bellhousing.

10. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

Thanks for the information Andy.

11. handy_andy_cv64

12. Brett Anderson73

Brett Anderson73 In First Gear

Just got a 1973 Ranchero with a 351C 2v.
    Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew to be totally honest...

wanted a Ranchero for years, found one running with what I thought was only superficial rust (only checked under riverside of body, passenger side is rotted through) and after a few days, and a few short 2 mile drives the engine is showing some bad signs of problems...

ordered an hei distributor, new plugs and wires and a carb kit. Added some fuel treatment to combat the bad fuel in the tank, and am hopeful that these measures will resolve the issues at hand...

there is a fantastic machine shop in town that quoted 4500 to do an economy rebuild on the 351C and another 1200 for the trans...

After I bandaid the more immediate issues, that will be tackled next

Next I’ll be rewiring with a painless harness, then the rust repair followed by the cosmetic restoration

ANY help or guidance is GREATLY appreciated!

13. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

Brett. I assume this is with them pulling the engine and doing all the labor? What all is included in the rebuild? Are you going for stock?

14. Brett Anderson73

Yes, stock rebuild from top to bottom.
    I know 4500 sounds a bit steep, but this guy has a hell of a reputation here locally building dirt track and drag performance engines.
    It’s calvert machine shop in Denton Texas

The only other shop in the NTX area I’ve found that would take it on quoted 2500, but I know nothing about that shop or tech

from my understanding, a 351C will be a bit more costly in every respect due to less parts circulating

15. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

351C has more parts then my 351M does. It's a popular engine in comparison. I went ahead and had mine rebuilt (I pulled it and undressed it mostly) with performance parts I bought from summitracing.com and a couple other sites. I think I paid the shop about $1700 ish. The parts on the other hand, don't ask me how much I have shelled out thus far ;)

16. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

That 1973 has a DuraSpark system right? You'll tear that out or bypass it if you are going HEI.

17. Brett Anderson73

True enough, but both are pretty sparse in comparison to a Windsor...
    this would be with him sourcing all parts and doing all labor
    I don’t have the time, tools or room to do any in depth engine work myself

18. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

Fair enough bud. I am not positive here, but pretty sure the 351C timing chain has plastic tips on the cogs. I would see if he could install a good after market one that is solid metal, avoid some problems in the future. Also ask him about a cam upgrade if you are interested. Now is the time to do it if so.

19. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

IIRC way back in the early days I did a couple of timing chain and cog sets and the replacement sets were all metal so that should not be a source issue.

20. handy_andy_cv64

The 351C 1) has points, the last Ford engine with them and the only one not given IMCO upgrades at all; and 2) definitely has a nylon-covered cam gear from the factory--that rear-ending in my '74 hastened its demise.