New Members ( Introduce Yourself)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Rancherous, Oct 25, 2004.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I would say that putting a Y-block in a Falcon is the same as putting an FE in--not a whole heck of a lot of room. But, if you can make it work, it'd be very unusual. A 292-4V is around 200 HP, according to my late dad, as he told me that our '56 Ranch wagon's engine was '202 horsepower.'

2. Brett Anderson73

Brett Anderson73 In First Gear

Decided to rebuild the carb instead of replacing it, I’ll be doing that tonight!

3. ron schlorff

ron schlorff In Second Gear

Hi Coman Cheros, I'm back after a long while. Figured this would be a fun thing to do while I'm in "house arrest"!! I built my cars (mostly with a checkbook, friends, pizza and beer,.. and great local Norcal auto shops) in early 2000's (05-10). I have a 67 Cyclone 390 GT and a 64 Chero, with a 200 six and a Tremec 5 speed. The former is just a "beast",... the latter is a mild little driver. Still a few things to do on both but not much on Cyclone (sound, gauges, odds and ends), but Chero needs those and more mechanicals such as disc brake conversion steering and front end rebuild. I'm here again to get advice and skinny on sources of quality parts, new and used, and conversion/rebuild kits. Yeah I know, not much luck to get American made items,.. but I will try wherever possible,,....Especially Now!!!! Most of my also veteran car buddies feel the same. I smell a business opportunity for our hobby. Even a clearing house type web page to steer folks to American made parts. So, I'm in So. AZ now full time (was in CA) and am looking for another project, maybe a 64 Caliente, HiPo 289 and 4 speed (which was on my first car wish list when I was in HS). Lots of nice dry car recycling lots here (chock full of big 'ol rattlers, as well as acres of un-rotten old metal) but 64 Comets, that are re-buildable condition, are still rare. Fully restored cars for purchase are going for more than I want to pay (20-30K). Glad to be with you all again. Ron (formerly known as "Blue Ovals")

4. handy_andy_cv64

Welcome back, Ron. Do you think any photos of your two rigs still reside on the forum?

5. ron schlorff

Thanks!! I don't know. still trying to figure out how stuff works on here; will try to post new ones. Here is the 67 Mercury Cyclone,... if it works. Will get new photo of the 64 Chero later!

Attached Files:

6. ron schlorff

Nice, my first car was a 55 Ranch wagon, with a 272 (I think) and a 2v. Tough engine to kill!! But I sure tried!! ;D

7. handy_andy_cv64

Dad loved the '56, because, as he said, "You stomped the go pedal at 50, the next time you look down as you pass the other car, you're doing 80!"

8. ron schlorff

I finally unearthed an old pic of my 64 Chero with a 65 grill (it was the better one I had than the original at the time), may go back to stock 64 some day! Not a great pic but taken several years ago, at night, in my garage when I lived in Nor. CA. Color is Ford's "Calypso Blue Metallic", painted at Maaco, in Sacramento, for about $900. Note the tail end of my 67 Cyclone in the background! Seats, seen here, with ugly red cloth seat covers over them from O'Reilly's, were light gray plush cloth seats from a mid-90's Mercury Tracer (junk yard find for 100 bucks for both), which, with minor tweaks, bolted right into the Chero, they have head rests as indicated.

Attached Files:

LSChero likes this.
  9. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome back Ron.Nice rides!

10. ron schlorff

Thanks, good to be back. Your cars sound awesome too from description.

11. Tim Klassen

Tim Klassen In First Gear

Hi! New here. I have owned several Rancheros over the years. All '64 or '65. I am just starting a '64 restomod. I hope I can pick up some good info here and maybe share a little. Tim

12. handy_andy_cv64

Restomod, eh? What's your ideas, and any pics?

Tim Klassen likes this.
  13. Tim Klassen

Well, glad you asked. Starting with a rust free, base model, 260, t10 car. Start with a Rod and Custom front end conversion, probably a mild stroker with T5 5 speed. I've done that conversion before on an automatic car and I really liked it. Vintage Air a/c , a nice paint job and a new interior. (looking for seat ideas, the car doesn't have a seat) a set of nice wheels and tires and that's it. No major body mods 'cause I like the stock body lines. I was going to do this build a few years ago but stumbled on a one owner '65 Falcon convertible. It looked rough but was pretty sweet under the bad paint job and thrashed interior. I left it mostly stock with just some mods to make it drive good. It has won a couple of awards at shows including the Falcon Nationals a couple of years ago. handy andy- where did your avatar pic come from? It looks like a Babe from Northern California.

14. handy_andy_cv64

It is! Cindy, or another member, posted it for me to put up as my avatar, as my rig's name is Babe, from Babe the Blue Ox.

15. Tim Klassen

I live about 60 miles from there. Too cool

16. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome Tim... you will enjoy perusing... There are some good people here.

Tim Klassen likes this.
  17. PonyExpressRider

LOL!!! How soon they forget!!! LOL!!!

18. handy_andy_cv64

Was it you? Dude, I just can't remember, and I can't even remember what thread to look in....

19. PonyExpressRider

Almost 2 years ago... took my Grandson down to the Redwoods… I don't remember the thread either! You know I had to give you a ration! LOL

20. handy_andy_cv64