New Members ( Introduce Yourself)

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Rancherous, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Alan in Alabama

Alan in Alabama In First Gear

Moderators... Thank you for at last approving my account.

I've been sort of browsing eBay and Craigslist for a Ranchero. I have noticed that western United States Rancheros for sale seem to be more plentiful, in better condition, and cheaper than in the east where I live (Alabama). The problem is that shipping will probably add $2000 to the price. But Rancheros are more reasonable than El Caminos. ​

Buds 67 likes this.
  2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

3. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome Alan,not only are the rancheros more reasonable they’re more eye catching than any el Camino,my chero gets a lot of attention everywhere I go,good luck on your search!

Buds 67 likes this.
  4. Alan in Alabama

Thank you, Beerbelly and Saff54 for the quick welcome. Beerbelly, your area's Craigslist assortment is an embarrassment of riches compared to here.

5. Jim Ciontea

Jim Ciontea In Second Gear

I found a running ‘65 Ranchero, 3 on the tree, 170 inline six power nothing base model living under an oak tree in Santa Barbara County. Very minor corrosion except for the hood and tailgate which needed a bit more attention.

What started out as a small project to have a fun daily driver small truck ended up becoming a resto-mod over time which now has new paint, wheels, tires, Ford 289, Tremec T5 five speed, Holley Sniper EFI with HyperSpark distributor and Holley CD Ignition, Rostra cruise control and too many other upgrades to remember.

I’ve put more than 30k miles on it during the 5 or 6 years I’ve owned it and will be putting many more on it in the future. My 170 six ran nicely but didn’t have enough power to make it up the local mountains and I have to go over that pass once or twice each week. It was getting old doing 35 MPH in 2nd gear…. Now it’s an effortless drive at the speed limit.

If I had to do mine over again I’d search harder for a V8 car because I spent a lot of time and money going from 6 to 8, although I kept the 6 cylinder wheels, brakes, spindles, steering gear, etc. which many told me couldn’t be done (they were mistaken).

Of course now I get positive comments wherever I go. Soon I’ll finish tweaking it and I’ll either do the interior myself or pay a shop to redo it. I just want to install some backup lights first (I’ve decided I must have backup lights for night driving so I bought a set of Falcon backup lights, I couldn’t find the proper Ranchero version).

Enjoy your search. Find a running vehicle and you can probably drive it home for a lot less than $2k.

Jim

6. Alan in Alabama

Thank you for your reply, Jim. I've bought and sold three old cars in the last 30 years. Each time I went cheap, getting a non-running "project" car and got them into running condition and stopped because going further with body restoration was just too expensive. My views have evolved to include these...
    • It's almost always better to pay more and get a car in decent condition to start with. ( no or minimal rust )
    • A real gold mine would be finding a car that someone else has already put a lot of money into.
    • You can almost never get out what you put into an old car.
    But, that being said, the thrill of getting a car left for dead started and back on the road can't be beat. One of the clunkers I previously owned was sort of like your Ranchero, a '65 Mustang with a six and 3 - speed manual. Dead as a doornail. Cleaned out gas tank, flushed fuel lines, rebuilt carburetor, new points, set timing, and it came to life. But that's as far as I went.

7. Jim Ciontea

Jim Ciontea In Second Gear

Agreed. I’ve spent too much money on my Ranchero. The time I don’t mind (I’m retired and enjoy working on it). Then again have you seen the price of new trucks these days? :)

8. Buds 67

Buds 67 In Fourth Gear

Hello Neighbor.... this is a great site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Alan in Alabama

Thank you for the welcome, Bud. I agree it seems like a great site. No name-calling, politics, etc.

I am an Alabama graduate and I am fearing the result in the SEC championship game against UGA. And a possibility we may play twice this year !

The Wrench and Buds 67 like this.
  10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Well...not much...but anyone gets outta line, it's dealt with. Even I've been called on the carpet, and after correcting my mistake and apologizing, all is forgiven.

So, what year range Ranchero are you looking for? I've seen some around here in South Texas, and since I'm on SSDI, I generally have time to tickle the laptop keys.

Lincolnut and Buds 67 like this.
  11. Alan in Alabama

I like the ones with frames, 72-79 I think. I had a '65 Mustang for a while and I didn't care for the unibody and the engine compartment seems a tight fit for a V8. I have to get rid of several clunkermobiles before I can think about buying another.

handy_andy_cv64 and The Wrench like this.
  12. Ol' Slo Eddie

Ol' Slo Eddie In Third Gear

Well, I guess I never did this so here goes.
    I'm ED and I have been on here for a few months now. I have been retired for 16 years and live in Grants Pass, Oregon.
    I have a '57 Ranchero, 351W/5spd (pictured) and I am now working on a '79 Ranchero GT, 351M/FMX.

Saff54 and Buds 67 like this.
  13. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Beautiful truck. Welcome.

14. Ol' Slo Eddie

Ol' Slo Eddie In Third Gear

Thank you. Glad to be aboard. This '79 is actually my 6th Ranchero. I have had 3 '57's (currently own one) a '66 289/4spd/factory A/C, a '75 GT that I should never have sold and now this '79.

15. CaptainStarfunkle

CaptainStarfunkle In First Gear

hello all,
    figured I should actually get around to posting instead of lurking since I'm really starting to get some work done on my Ranchero. I have a 1969 GT with a 302 H/O. I'm based out of Las Vegas.

Buds 67 likes this.
  16. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Welcome @CaptainStarfunkle
    It is a nice looking Ranchero you have there...
    Dennis

You Have been Lurking quite a spell huh?

17. CaptainStarfunkle

CaptainStarfunkle In First Gear

oh yeah! the last couple years I just haven't the time to get the work done so it all fell by the wayside.

18. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome to the site!

19. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Welcome Cap!

20. Joe 1969 Ranchero gt

Joe 1969 Ranchero gt In First Gear

Hey thanks for accepting my request I my name is joe from Minnesota currently stationed in california about 10 years ago I came across a deal on two 69 rancheros with enough extra parts to make a possible third one i did all the body work on one of the cars and the day I was supposed to prime the car I was told I have to leave so never did prime the car just wrapped it in blankets and plastic and put it in the shed I currently went home on leave and pulled all my cars out to realize there’s surface rust all over the one that never got primed so cleaned it all up finally primed it and started working on the second one got it running and drivable in about a week

HuevosRanchero likes this.