New Paint Coming

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by LSChero, Mar 10, 2010.

1. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

You're a hero, that is certain!

2. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

I vote black. You da man for helping Hyrb and Kim. Awesome of ya to give up your garage.

3. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

I also vote black. I think that will be a great addition to your beautiful chero!!! Nice guy giving up the garage!!!

4. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Yes has to be black matches top and you will never find the white color to match the rest so it will look yellow and old, at least after a while in the sun and dust and dirt.
    Has to be black :D

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Purple I vote Purple....

6. Hyrb

Hyrb In Third Gear

Black is my vote.

LS has accumulated tons of good Karma. I meanwhile got stuck in a blizard in PA this week and drove home after cancelled flights with the flu along for the ride. pulling over on the side of the road to avoid tossing in the rental also makes cops think you are drunk...

The universe has a way of leveling things! Hope to get Kim's shipped out east soon so I can quit taking advantage!

7. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

Well Hyrb, sounds like your week has sucked for sure. I suspect LS doesn't feel you are taking advantage or Kim's car wouldn't be in the garage...good luck on getting the newest addition home soon!!

8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I concur,black it will be.Took chero to upholstry shop today that did interior work .He did not want to cover protect-o-top,says he has done these before and i wont be happy with results.Suggested installing angle on inside of bed with .75 marine plywood with cover of choice.Quoted around 150 ranchero$$ to cover plywood.Line ons 72-9 bed will be hard to fit up with angles and oversized sail planes in my opinion.Kims 71 has rails already installed(pic) and bed is squareish which i can visualize.Need functional bed cover,spring lift and easy access.Will detail my cover and install till i decide which way to go.Thanks for your imput,John[​IMG]

9. 5.0 Chero

What? Not Purple??????:mad:

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

11. 72GTVA

Sorry Carl, I don't think a perpul tonneau would do much to enhance LS Chero's truck...

Wenn ya payntin' yers?

12. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

He hasn't finished the 007 ejector seat mod yet!

13. LSChero

As anticipated,cover looks like crap.Going to get prices from local spray-on bed liner shops to coat cover.Do-it yourself kit is option as well.Still think matching vinyl would look the best.Carl, ya got my thumbs up on "PURPLE" 54... Had a dark purple 55 crown,was sweet.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. 5.0 Chero

John just have it shot satin black (same as hood)...add new pinch weld molding and it will look great.

15. HuevosRanchero

hmm I dont think it looks like crap!! lol..but I do think black vinyl to match the vinyl top would be spiffy!

16. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you thin the bed coating about 25% and shoot it with an undercoating gun the stuff is real easy to work with and takes a lot of abuse.
    You will be able to set materials or tools on top without worrying about scratching the finish.
    I shot the exterior of my buddies Pathfinder with it before we put the exoskeleton on it and even after seeing a lot of action it still looks great after getting hit with the power washer.

17. HuevosRanchero

thats not a bad idea..yep that stuff is tuff...a lot tougher than paint and you can get a great finish

18. 72GTVA

Seems to me that a new topcoat in the color of your choice (note that I am not ruling out Carl's perpul vote) and refreshing any trim would make it look brand new...

19. LSChero

Thanks for tips.Usual fiberglass spiderweb cracking on OE finish,will take a lot of prep to make paint ready.Hate the "hot rod black" paint on hood.Stains,water spots,is high maintaince.Think ill go with bed liner coating.Got an old school paint spayer,can i use it with different tip?What is a good coating to use?

20. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Mine was a Gaylord (can't get familiar with that name!!!) with the rough finnish, but got a friend to do a lot of work on it and made a moulding of it, now there are just the finnish on the new one and then paint it the same color I will have on the car when decided.
    It will be painted and clear coted so it will be as shiny as the car will be:D
    The moulding on the edges will be stainless steel:cool:

The first one is the original one before doing anything, the other ones are the old one with the rough top removed and the new one made out of the mould.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010