New Pocket Pistol

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RancheroRandy, Aug 24, 2019.

1. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

S&W 637.jpg My Ruger SP101 was a little big as a "pocket pistol" so did some selling and buying at a local gun show today and purchased a S&W 637-2 38 SP+P...conceals nicely...

Basstrix, TestDummy and ForistellFord like this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My Dad has that in stainless. It packs a punch, but is as accurate as Stevie Wonder on the basketball court.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Nice wheel gun.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Mine is a nickel plated 38 with a 2/12" barrel and unless you have it sticking under their rib cage it is just a noise maker.

5. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Sometimes, that's all you need. Most times, it shouldn't even come to that stage.

Joseph

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. RancheroRandy

Exactly! I need to get some range-time and fortunately my youngest son works part time at a very nice indoor range in Charlotte. On these little guns I pull the trigger with my middle finger which gives me better control even when using my (and only) non-dominant arm/hand.

Hillbilly likes this.
  7. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice choice. Been thinking about one of these or the ruger LCR in 357. Need to try them both before I decide. Did you get the hammerless version?

8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

.357 is wasted big time in barrels under 6"... FWIW. Revolver cartridges use slow propellants and don't develop their muzzle velocity in short barrels. Unless you hand load and can develop a load that is efficient and effective in the typical concealed carry revolvers using faster propellants you are likely to be disappointed.

Basstrix and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  9. Basstrix

Good input. I do hand load, but not sure I'd work up anything special for a gun like that. Now you have me curious about what the MV difference will be between a 38spcl +p load and a 357mag. The main reason I am interested in the 357 is because I already have arms in that caliber. I hear they pack a sting. I shot an lcr in 38 and even that had a fair amount of recoil.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  10. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Key word, recoil, bigger is not better, can't hardly beat a .22 for accuracy near or....

11. 72GTVA

Revolver cartridges typically use larger quantities by weight of slower burning powders to develop velocity/muzzle energy, and typically manufacturers will provide the "best" or most favorable numbers when providing data for customers. Look at the screen shot below - and note that the load was tested using a TEN INCH barrel. My Speer and Sierra Bullets reloading manuals provide the loads and note the barrel length that they used for their tests. They both used barrels 13 inches or so for their data. I used to shoot a lot of .357 Magnum loads about what is in capture below through a 8 inch barrel 15-2VH8 pistol in silhouette competition. In low light situations the muzzle blast/flash was spectacular indicating a lot of un-burned powder (lost energy and velocity).

Buyer beware - and with a snub nose you don't have any sight radius impacting accuracy and the bullet is pushed out of the barrel with less than a quarter of the powder charge being used to develop energy and velocity.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 7.13.16 PM.png

Ballistics: Very wide range of possibilities. Give the following links a look:

http://www.ballistics101.com/38_special.php

http://www.ballistics101.com/357_magnum.php

12. Basstrix

Right on, I have that same model in 6" and his big brother in 44mag. My favorite powder for my revolver loads is blue dot.

13. Basstrix

Here's a good comparison of the 38 vs 357. Paul Harrell makes some great videos. If you're not familiar with his background, he's a retired military firearms instructor.

14. 72GTVA

Blue Dot is fairly slow, almost as slow as WIN 296. I still use Bullseye for .45 Match loads which is pretty fast, and also use it for .38 Special 148 gr HBWC Match loads. We fired some .38 factory +P loads through a Federal Agent's hammerless .38 and then fired the 148 gr HBWC loads, measuring both on a Labradar. Through that 1.5" barrel the factory +P loads were right at 760 fps, the 148 gr HBWC loads were 730 fps. The factory box stated the +P were 950 fps. Go Figure...

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 9.17.12 PM.png

15. Basstrix

Hmm, didn't realize they ran that close in burn rate...I use H110 in my 500 with heavy slugs (same thing as W296). I took a liking to BD so much because I also used it in my magnum 12 & 20ga loads, but I understand that 44 mags love 2400...ever tried that?

16. RancheroRandy

nope. got the exposed hammer...tried several times withdrawing it from my shorts pocket and didn't detect any snagging. I can always cut the hammer down some if I so choose...

17. RancheroRandy

Simple physics: the shorter the barrel the less time for the propellant to burn...if I ever have to "disable" someone this will do the trick...though I have to admit that "placement" makes all the difference: I once had a patient who survived 8 bullet wounds from a 9mm.... :eek:

18. 72GTVA

No, haven't tried that - and out of the reloading business now, gave all my reloading equipment to my daughter after I loaded everything I had on hand to load. Have enough in all probability to last me.

A lot of the powders listed in that chart are "new" since I started loading - I had developed loads to a range of a few powders that I was happy with and mostly stuck with Hercules (now Alliant) for pistol (except for the WIN 296) and Dupont IMR variants (3031, 4064 and 4895) for rifle. Once I had the the performance I wanted I pretty much stuck with the same loads with minor variations. That kept the powder inventory down to around 30 pounds or less depending on where I was in the shooting/reloading season. WIN 296 was the least used and I seemed to always have a partial can of that around. The bulk of the powder was typically 4895 for the match rifle loads, usually 20 pounds of that at the start of a reloading season.

Was a while a couple of years back when you just about couldn't find any pistol powder, around the same time you couldn't find .22LR.

19. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Two words: Zombie Apocalypse. Just sayin'. Then you'll wish you had more ammo.

I bought a Ruger 9mm a few years ago, because I could buy 9mm ammo, but I couldn't buy .22LR. That entire debacle was just stupid.

Joseph

Basstrix likes this.
  20. 72GTVA

Yeah, probably.