New Purchase Help

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Teamcurtis, Jan 29, 2013.

1. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Third try, Curtis: look at the exposed corners of the heads for a raised number in the cast iron. If it is a Cleveland a number will be there, and then your question can be answered.

If it was original to a Bronco then it's most likely a 351m -- don't think any Bronco was ever built with a Cleveland.

2. Teamcurtis

Teamcurtis In Second Gear

i appreciate the help. Im not ignoring your advice, but these cars are not right next door so i cant just go look at the engine and look for stampings or measure bolt spacing all that easily. I am looking for a car to buy, not simply to identiy a motor that is in my garage

However i can take this knowlege with me to go look at the next one.

From what wikipedia says your right... the bronco II had a 351M, and the 1 only went up to a 302

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  3. Teamcurtis

4. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

A 351m is an interesting engine. Lots of low end torque but isn't designed for high RPMs. Not too much you can do to it and there's a limited aftermarket. There was a site I looked at a long long time ago when I had a 351m in my old 78 ranchero that listed most of the mods you can do to it, like boring the cylinders, using Cleveland pistons. Basically a lot of things that bring it from a 351 to a 400. Also uses the big bell housing generally used on big block engines. All depends on what you want to do with the car and what you want to do with it in the future. Nothing wrong with it and nothing says you can't swap it out later with a Cleveland or Windsor down the road.

General things to look at when you see it in person. Look at the shock access area in the bed. That area is a water trap and where a lot of rancheros begin to rust out. Also get under the car and check if there are any rust through areas around the toe boards. Usually these early model's vents get clogged and water will come through into the cab. You should also try out the vents to see if they're working, including the heater. Check the brakes out. If you can get it on the freeway, get it up to highway speed and see if there is any shaking. Also check the steering as you go and see if there's any play in the steering wheel. To me the floorpans and bed are the biggest things since floorpans are expensive and labor intensive. I'm sure the 68 owners here will have some specific things to look out for those years.

5. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

The latest car in question looks to have a 351w, I don't believe the 351w was used in trucks or Broncos until 1980 though. It may have been a transplant into an early Bronco though.

6. Teamcurtis

youre right about that engine not being in the Bronco I only the II. I asked him specifically about it. He took a pic of the block for me.
    [​IMG]

So what im looking for is a weekend play car. Looks decent and run well. Not looking for track or strip.
    Some highway driving but keeping it under 70.
    I would be rather dissapointed if the thing wouldnt at least peel out farily easily and burn a bit of rubber if i stood on the brake.

my total budget is about 8k

Would i be better off looking at the 302? I, being a newbie, assumed more displacement more power
    There is a 302 in good running order and good body/interior shape (at least what im told) for 6500. I shyed away because i thought the 351 would be a more "fun" motor

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  7. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Well there's a good debate. 351 vs. 302. I will say that the 302 has a massive aftermarket since it is a 5.0 and was in production with little changes from the late 60's through the mid 90's. I'm sure you can find some horse power stats online somewhere but a lot of variation goes into mods and condition of the motor.

If you want to burn some rubber you will most definitely need to change the rear end ratio to something a bit more aggressive. Most of these Rancheros had pretty wimpy ratios from the factory since they were designed as trucks. Unless it was a GT or some high power variant. Not usually something expensive or labor intensive for a shop to do for you.

The Covina one needs some love but it seems like the core stuff was well taken care of. All depends on how much you want to put into it.

8. Teamcurtis

regearing so that the car will lay rubber will kill top end speed correct?
    im assuming that is the main problem with a 3 speed?

9. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you have enough power, the gear won't matter. I had a 455 in a Cutlass, and a 2.78:1 gear. It would melt the tires whenever I wanted, and would pull like crazy off the line. Don't worry about the gear yet. Build an engine.

10. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

With an 8K budget you will find much better cars than the ones you posted to work with. You should get a turn key driver needing nothing for that price and probably already have some nice aftermarket stuff on it already. Keep looking is my advice until the right car comes around. Find one where the owner is asking 10K and bargain down to 8K and have fun driving it right away with no upgrading or repairing.

11. Teamcurtis

12. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looks nice. Take if for a drive. Go over it with a fine-toothed comb. Offer him $5000 cash.

13. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Yeah its the usual trade off. Decent top speed or off the line speed. Also will affect for MPG a bit.

14. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Looks like a decent Ranchero. Has at least disc brakes in the front. There was also that one I posted awhile back on this thread, but can't remember the price, that looked a bit cleaner.

15. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

16. Teamcurtis

I saw that one too... only issue is I hate blue, and the interior is blue too not just a paint job

Thanks for all the advice
    Im going to see if he can verify the VIN of the car an the engine, then take a trip up there to give it a drive.

17. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Yeah you gotta love blue for that one. My wife is the same way. She cannot stand blue. Its a shame. Thats one nice Ranchero. Are you stuck on a 86/69? Have you looked at 70/71s? Probably my second or third favorite years.

18. Teamcurtis

19. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Nice looking 67. Always been my favorite year. Buy it Now price is $11k so I would guess the reserve is right around that. There was a decent 67 on craig's list not long ago that the poster originally listed as a 68 but that listing is gone. They do pop up from time to time. Not a fan of the 64-65 years, but thats a personal thing. Amazes me what people ask for their rust buckets online. Lots of ads asking $3k for a rust bucket with no engine.

20. Teamcurtis