New Purchase Help

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Teamcurtis, Jan 29, 2013.

1. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

That 66 looks really clean!

2. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Both are good, but you'll turn more heads, get asked more questions, and probably have more fun talking about your car with the 66. Downside is that finding body, and other model specific, parts will be harder for the 66 for a few reasons. It is a one year body style, rancheros are the red headed step child of the ford lineage, its not a mustang. Gotta say that 66 is a flipping good looking car though. For the price its kinda a no brainer to me as long as it drives ok.

A lot of people swap out the 289 heads with 302 heads. A lot of the 302 stuff will pretty much bolt on, but if you're going that far just transplant a 5.0 in there and put the 289 in a corner for whenever you sell the car.

3. Lincolnut

Lincolnut In Third Gear

The Red FORD is the better choice.............my .02............More Rare......:D

Mike

4. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

5. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

yeah,
    go Ford with the 66.
    Elky 's are so over done.

6. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Both are nice! I love my Rancheros but my son has a really sweet unrestored 67 Elky that I really like too!

7. Teamcurtis

Teamcurtis In Second Gear

will headers bolt right onto a 66? any space issues? i see on jegs summit etc they all over several choices, but that doesnt mean i can just bolt them up.

also does anyone know if changing the headers on a 66 is straigt forward? meaning i dont have to move 8000000 other parts to bolt them up?

man its raining good deals, just saw this one this AM.
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3606494711.html
    already has a 302 in it... but i dont know what it came out of.

8. Teamcurtis

my heart and eyes love the 66 ranchero

my testicles love that the el camino is a 350, and has a posi rear end

9. Denny

OK, but I hope that's worth the $5500 price difference to you, not to mention that the Ranchero already has working AC and the El Camino doesn't.

10. Teamcurtis

well the chevy is a dealer...(kinda private dealer thing, not a car lot)
    i wouldnt pay more than 9.5

so trying to compare 9.5 to hopefully 6

then upgrades to the ranchero (discs, exhaust, elect ign)

I see your point though....

11. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Well headers are an interesting thing with these older Fords. Most of the tools used to specify if an engine part works with a vehicle base it off of the engine, not the body so much. Since the 289 and 302 are pretty much identical, and the 302 is just an early 5.0 you will find a lot of sites that say things will work. The issue with headers though come from the annoying shock towers you find in early Fords. They take up a good portion of the engine bay and make for doing things a little frustrating at times. The question comes though why you would want to swap them out anyway. If its the sound or performance then that's not the first place I'd start. You could also look for some OEM HO exhaust manifolds online which should still fit but give you better breathing over stock. Even with the shock towers out of the way I've heard a lot of people having clearance issues with the power steering setups. If you're just going for looks then again there are other things I'd do first. If you just want the nice sound look into a good muffler and pipe combo from an exhaust shop. I like the hushpower pro series (though flowmaster owns them now) sound.

Seems like at least front disc swapping is fairly easy and straight forward. Same goes for electric ignition. Might also want to look at electric cooling fans too while you're at it. Fairly cheap to do and the percs are nice.

Everything you want can be done. Its just the cost, desire, and labor that are determining factors.

12. 71 Whitesale

71 Whitesale In Fourth Gear

Tri-Y headers were designed for the 65 Mustangs, they seem to fit well with the small block and the shock towers, I used them on my 65 Mustang. Any header install is a PITA but they worked out well with no rubbing issues. The 66 Ranchero is Falcon based so the front end & shock towers are essentially the same. I buy some of my parts from Mustang distributors because their pricing is usually better!

13. Denny

Looking again at the Ranchero, it seems odd to me that someone would upgrade to newer style AC compressor but still have the old single master cylinder. I guess comfort took priority over safety.:eek:

14. Teamcurtis

made an apt to see the red car at 4 today, told him i was bringing cash and a traile.
    well I took the day off, rented a trailer, called him at 2 to tell him I was on my way. I got to san clemente (hour from me, and half way) he called and told me he sold the car at 3.
    BEYOND pissed

looking for the next option...

15. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Man that blows. Sorry to hear that. Had a similar experience when I was looking at classic cars a couple of years ago. Ultimately it was a decent thing though since I got my 67. Almost got a 67 Fairlane but had the same kind of problem you had.

16. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

that sucks ass.
    some things arent meant to be.
    the next one will be better.

chin up. dont cave to the el camino devil.

17. Denny

Yeah, that is irritating but you can't blame the seller. So many people promise to show up and then don't. You have to sell to the first person who shows up with the money.

I'm not good at being patient when I get ready to buy something, but it always seems like when I miss out on a good deal, a better one comes along later.

18. Teamcurtis

Except I asked to come that morning and he said he couldn't till 4. Because others act poorly does not justify you doing the same.

19. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yeah, in your face Denny! Just because you'd pull the rug out from under someone doesn't mean everyone will. It's all about karma. Now, call me stupid if you want, but I agreed to the sale of one of my vehicles once, and after I did I got an offer of $500 more that my asking price if I promised to hold it for the guy because he wanted it so bad. (It was a minivan that actually had value, not one of my old cheros). Naturally I could have told the first guy to kiss off, but I already agreed to the deal so I had to tell the higher bidder no. I'm just that kind of guy. I didn't even tell the first guy what I did for him, why would I? By the way, the buyer turned out to be a young guy with a young pregnant wife who really needed the van, so I felt even better.

20. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I had a similar experience. When I sold my wife's 1996 Pontiac Sunfire POS shortly after we got married. I put it up for $1000 more than I actual wanted, or thought I'd get, because I was in no hurry to sell. The day after the ad goes in the paper, this guy comes out to look at it with his pregnant wife and 2 year-old daughter. He drives it, loves it and says he'll take it; never trying to haggle with me on the price. They go to the bank, get a loan, and come back to pick it up. He hands me a wad of cash (I think $5,000), and I hand them the keys. Seeing how happy they were, in their 'new' 2 year old car, touched my heart. I stopped them before they backed out of the driveway and handed him $300 back. Told him to take the family out to dinner, whatever. Did I have to do that, no? Did I later regret it? Absolutely.