New rear sway bar for 71

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by grebaba, Aug 27, 2019.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Just ordered a 3/4 inch Addco rear sway bar kit from Jegs for the 71. I hope it works well with the Calvert Traction bars and mono leafs.
    Cost was $189.06 with free shipping.
    Greg

andrewok1 likes this.
  2. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

This turned out to be the hardest job on the Ranchero and I have done coil overs,hydro boost, calvert suspension with mono leafs etc mainly because I needed a tool I didn't have.
    The install is pertly straight forward but i had a heck of a time drilling the 4 holes to mount the link to the bar.
    There isn't much room to get a drill and a bit between the spring and the body to drill the holes. You will need a 90 degree angle head drill to make this an easy job. I just didn't want to spend $300.00 plus to drill 4 holes. I used a uni bit to clear the spring and body.
    On the right side of the frame Ford put a reinforcement plate on the inside of the frame and it took me 2 hour's to drill this one hole. The other 3 holes took 2 hours for both of them. Be sure to buy new drill bits as it would help.
    Well enough of my winning.
    Greg

andrewok1 likes this.
  3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

These Rancheros need specialy trained mechanics-YOUR specialy trained Now :D

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Post Pics please.

5. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

My old camera has broke and I haven't replaced it yet. I will post some pictures as soon as I get another camera.
    I am well trained on rear sway bars now.
    Greg

6. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

been thinking about fitting one, how does it change the ride?

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I did some slaloms in the Costco parking lot the other day, and I'm not sure what good a sway bar would do in the rear, because the springs back there are pretty stiff.

8. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Can't tell you how it handles yet because I am still building the car but on my 55 it made a big difference going around curves.
    On the 55 we have a double s curve in a country road north of me. Without the rear bar I could only take the curves at 72 mph before the rear of the car started pushing. With the rear bar I can take the same curve at 88 before it gets on the edge.
    It also helps at the drags on launch. A lot better launch and lower 60 foot times.
    Greg

TestDummy likes this.
  9. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I ordered a new camera but it won't be in till next week but I found an old cell phone That can take pictures.
    Ignore the mess on the rear as I still have a lot of clean up work to do on the rear.
    Here are the pictures, but I had some trouble getting a good angle to take them so bear with me.

Attached Files:

10. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

looks like I have the bar upside down. I was looking at another forum and it shows the bar on the bottom of the rear end.
    I read the directions that came with the bar and it shows the bar on top of the rear so that is how I installed it.
    I guess I will turn it over.
    Hope it mathces the holes I have all ready drilled.
    Greg

11. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

If the instructions show the bar on top, then I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer. It may very well be that the guy on the other forum installed it incorrectly, or for a different application, and yours is fine.

Joseph

12. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I am going to call them. The guy on the other forum posted a stock rear bar on a 73 Torino.
    I have seen them installed both ways so I want it done right.
    That is what had me a little worried.
    Greg

13. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Called and it does go on top of the axle.
    Glad of that because I wasn't looking forward to drilling new holes.
    Greg

colnago likes this.
  14. TestDummy

I was wondering about the location, because up top is where the exhaust is supposed to go. Would probably still work, though.

15. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

It would be a tight fit. I am going to exit my exhaust in front of the rear tires so I think I will be OK on that score.
    Greg

16. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

You probably already know this ... but there was no stock location or mounts for a rear sway bar. It will always be a custom installation.

17. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Yeah
    I knew that when I ordered the bar, but I didn't expect to have this much trouble drilling the mounting holes.
    I don't mind because every car I have had a rear bar on handled much better and since I have replaced the whole suspension in the front and rear I figured why not go all the way.
    I am really looking forward to taking it to Hallett raceway [road race course] next year and seeing exactly what it will do.
    I don't expect it to be a sports car but want better handling and braking.
    Greg

18. TestDummy

I'm going to weigh my Ranchero on Friday, rain willing. I bet it's 70% front/30% rear, which is perfect for a road course.

beerbelly likes this.
  19. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Let me know what your weights are. I took about 400 pounds out of my Ranchero but won't know for sure untill I get it running.
    Should have the engine and tranny in next week but will have to a wait a bit because I will need to order a driveshaft.
    Greg