New Tires and Rims???

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by DavidA, Jun 17, 2021.

1. DavidA

DavidA In First Gear

Hi Everyone,
    So i need to put new tires and rims on my newly purchased 1966 Ranchero. The question I have is sizing? They are standard 14's now. But, what should size should i put on it. I'm not trying to retro, I'm thinking simple US Mag or American Racing chrome rims and some radials. But, without power steering, I know it's best to not go wide. And i thought i read on the forum, somewhere, that some people place a size larger size on the back rims. I am so new and in need of knowledge, that i'm willing to listen to all recommendations (and even pictures!)
    thank you
    dave

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

3. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Fourth Gear

Hi Dave, when I got my 66 it had 14x6 American Racing torque thrust 2s with 195 - 65 front and 215 - 70 rear. I have recently changed the rears to 15s ( - 18 offset ) with 235 - 60 Cooper cobra tyres. They fill the wheel arches nicely . It would be possible to put even wider rims on the back depending on the offset. Still thinking about changing the fronts to 15s. My 66 is power steer.
    Denis.

4. DavidA

DavidA In First Gear

Denis,
    Any pictures? would love to see it from the side - thank you -dave

5. DavidA

DavidA In First Gear

Thank you = this was very helpful. Question, are the inside arches the same size between the 65 and 66?
    Dave

6. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sorry, I don't know that for sure, but I suspect they're similar. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

7. Kiwirancher

I will try to post a couple of pictures later today , something I have trouble doing for some reason . Might have to get my wife to help! I should have also mentioned that the new rears are 15x8.
    Denis.

8. Kiwirancher

Resize4.jpg Resize4.jpg REsize3.jpg Resize1.jpg Ok managed to upload ! The -18 offset brings the rims out nicely , about a finger width between the tyre and wheelarch. Can just get them on/off when jacking on the diff. No probs if jacking under the sill. Sorry it is not clean -- just got in from a surf and it was raining!
    Denis.

Attached Files:

Buds 67 likes this.
  9. DavidA

DavidA In First Gear

thank you Denis - your pictures are very helpful also because amazingly, i'm thinking of putting those same rims on mine. But, i'm thinking of add white walls for the new tires. We'll have to stay in contact since our cars are so similar! What color is your interior - mine is red, in fairly good shape but needs a new dash pad. dave

10. Kiwirancher

IMG_20210620_113107Interior1.jpg Interior2.jpg Hi Dave , as you can see my interior is black , pretty much as I bought it except the dash pad was a bit rough. I removed it -- no small job as mine is factory air so not much room under there -- tidied it up and got one of our local upholsterers to recover it to my specs . I had him pad and pleat it to match the seat with saddle stitching along the seam. The paint on the dash and doors is original and a bit scratched here and there but I like it like that . If you decide to do your dash pad I would recommend removing the glovebox inner and also the instrument cluster -- that will give you much easier access to the nuts that hold it in place.
    Denis.

Jeff B likes this.
  11. DavidA

DavidA In First Gear

Ok, so i confused the Wheel/Rim guy with my stupidity. I went to him stating that i wanted 195/60 on front and 215/60's on the back and then he said what size rim and i just looked at him stupidly LoL. Ok so i think after reviewing Denis' set up that he has 8's on the back. I don't think i want that wide on the back. So, the Wheel/Rim guy is saying to put some 15/7 rims front and back.
    I was thinking of US Mag U104's but i wanted thin white wall. He says he can't get the white walls in that size and to go to Coker.
    Thoughts? Advice? Am i doing the right thing? Will this work? Should i hold out and look for white walls (I realize this is a personal taste)

BTW, the wheel guy also asked if i wanted wider/taller 225's but won't this effect handling?
    all opinions welcome.
    dave

12. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

I went to Coker for my tires, love the tires... took them down to my local Les Schwab... hate the mounting price.

13. Kiwirancher

Hi Dave, I think 15x7 rims all round would look fine . If I go to 15s on the front they will probably be 7” wide. A taller sidewall may affect the way the car feels but I suspect not much. I can’t tell the difference in ride/ handling going from the 215/70 x 14s to the 235/60 x 15s but imho the 15s look way better ! Check different offsets if you can. Never been much of a whitewall fan though I prefer thin to wide , I also don’t mind the thin red walls. There , that should have confused you even more!!
    Denis.