New toy in the museum today

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Hillbilly, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

mine sweeper on jeep 002.JPG mine sweeper on jeep 001.JPG mine sweeper on jeep 003.JPG Finally got our mine sweeper Jeep assembled and out of the crate onto the museum floor. Not real sure I trust the sandbags in the floor to be enough protection though. I would have hated to draw the duty of driving that Jeep.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That appears to be a Ford M151 'MUTT.' Dad had rode in them when he was serving in the Navy Civil Engineers Corps in Vietnam, and in the Seventies, when my big brother Fred was serving in the 82d ABN, he and his buddies constantly pestered the Army brass to get roll cages for them, even offering to put up their own money for them. The Army refused to bite.

3. handy_andy_cv64

Soooooo...which museum is this?

4. Hillbilly

Just a little museum dedicated to an slightly crazy but golden hearted friend who had a passion for collecting military stuff. If you had anything to do with Jeeps, you knew and bought parts from Bud Werner. Look up Werner Military Museum on Google. Since his passing, a bunch of his friends got together and rescued his collection and have been adding to it as we can. We bought out Gerald Creeley's huge collection and have slowly hauled it back here from Tupelo, Miss. so now the buildings are jam packed enough that we are contemplating adding more buildings. Keeps us off the streets and out of the bars as we like to have everything fully functional. My wife is the one in charge of uniforms, has been getting a huge case of cabin fever as the weather hasn't let her go play. Plans are to open the museum to the public on weekends again this spring. Still have tons of stuff to add as we get them cleaned and running.
    Andy, you know it's a Mutt, I know it's a Mutt, average Joe just sees a Jeep. My wife or I will give you the correct dates and who made it and what theater it played a role in if we give you a tour of the museum in person. Still have to repair and install the ballast tank on the rear of that Mutt. Very unsafe to drive it now as it is way unbalanced and nose heavy. Not a fan of that independent rear suspension.

Jeff B likes this.
  5. handy_andy_cv64

Neither was my brother, especially at speed. Ha, funny story: Fred's battalion was headed to Alaska for winter training, but the transport developed trouble of some kind, so they landed at McChord AFB in Tacoma (we were living in Everett, a 65-mile trip on I-5 through Seattle). He gets this idea, since it'll take several hours to repair the plane, to get his buddies and a trio of Mutts, and race up I-5 to be able to surprise visit with us. So he set a transit time round-trip, and visit time, and they took off. Unfortunately, they had to turn back in South Everett, as they ran out of time. That occured because they were pulled over by a Washington State Trooper for 'speeding.' But the punchline is that as the trooper walked up to Fred, Fred looks him dead in the eye and barks "Sir! Did you know it is a Federal Offense to interfere with a military convoy in transit?!?" The trooper stopped, thought for a second, then turned around and went back to his car, drove away.

Jeff B. and Hillbilly like this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

Anyhoo, the museum has now just become a Bucket List Item.

7. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Cool! I will have to try that sometime. :)

8. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

My Dad would have loved this museum. He was a real military history buff, especially WWII, and Jeeps in particular. He rebuilt a dozen or so in the last years of his life. I’d help him list them on eBay and he always made good money. My wife and I gave him a wall plaque for his shop. It’s been hanging in mine since he passed in 2012.
    7216F8EF-791F-4E14-95F9-104F9F7CCA63.jpeg

HuevosRanchero, Jeff B and Hillbilly like this.
  9. handy_andy_cv64

Disclaimer: YMMV.

10. Hillbilly

Hummer.JPG Dug out another one-off Hummer Andy. Has two seats on each side facing each other back in the raised rear section. We think it is the only one made like that.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Hmmmmm. Usually, one with a box like that, it would be some kind of command and control vehicle. Are there holes or hardware in the floor between the seats, like a Ford wagon? That would indicate a table or rack. Look for mountings up top and on the sides for extra antenna mounts, or a plate for wired computer connections. If none of those pan out, then look to see if any unit markings are still on it. That could provide a clue to a comms/staff unit, or even perhaps an engineering outfit, as large equipment (like a crane) will have a crew.

12. Hillbilly

Haven't really dug in and cleaned in the back yet. There are a bunch of antenna plates and just inside the rear doors are some phone cord styled coiled multi wire comm. cables with screw on connectors. Haven't pulled up the thick mat on the rear floor yet. From the gunner's platform in the middle forward looks normal. My guess is it had some electronics back there but I need more research to figure out what was in it and who it was assigned to. Would make a fun party wagon though.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, I'm thinking either a command and control (or even ELINT?) wagon. The phone-like cables are likely Ethernet.

Well, since the seats are configured like a Ford wagon, I was thinking a crumb grabber's romper room....

14. Hillbilly

ELINT might be likely, has odd mounts on the roof.

15. handy_andy_cv64

Oooooh.....might be worth scouring through Humvee photos online for a couple hours, see if you can find one or two that look similar. They might've used satellite up/down links in addition to hardwired connections.