No brake or blinker drivers side rear

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by MIKESTANATOR, May 13, 2020.

1. MIKESTANATOR

MIKESTANATOR In Second Gear SILVER MEMBER

So my brake light and turn signal on the drivers side rear will not work. I cant seem to figure out the issue. Checked the wiring behind tail light, bulb sockets, and bulbs. Got parking lights, no brake or turn signal on left rear. Front turn signal works, hazard lights flash at random pace (kinda like Morse code). The brake switch was replaced. If the blinker works on the front on the same side does that mean the blinker switch isnt bad. Speaking of the blinker switch, it seems very difficult to get to. It is way down in the column. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

2. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

When you say the bulbs , sockets and wiring is checked what was done?
    My 1st thought is to get your hands on a wiring diagram and trace down all the ground points with concentrating on the L rear.
    How about running a temporary ground to the L R tail light socket and see what happens.

Sure , it could be the T/S switch but you really should eliminate everything else.
    The connector is at the bottom of the column,

Turn signal switch should be under the steering wheel not down at the bottom of the column

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

First, the rear light ground path is through one wire, attached to the top(?) socket, then the other two ground through the taillight housing. Mine was bad on the right side, I had to clean the ground lug on the body, and then monkey a wire into all three of the sockets, so that they all had a secondary ground path. BUT, use a 12 volt test light first. Confirm power is getting through the switch to the brake/turn filament. If it is, then it's likely a socket terminal issue, as you did say the marker/parking lights do work (they use the same ground path).

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me, and I have '77-'79 factory diagrams.

5. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Just a thought! A broken filament in the bulb falling across the other filament.
    Need to confirm bulb function!

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Did you check for power in the socket with a meter?