No side marker or tail lights or turn signal lights.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Matt Solomon, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Matt Solomon

Matt Solomon In First Gear

I am restoring a 1971 Ranchero and have had it all a part and now putting it back together and only have head
    lights and back lights,No side marker,tail or turn signal lights. Thanks for your help.

2. Matt Solomon

PS the car has 2 flashers on it and the one close to the fuse box has power to it all the time.

3. Matt Solomon

PS found part of my problem, The flasher for the turn signals was bad. Replaced that and my turn signal work now and I had already replace it once .Just a bad part I guess. Now just need to get my running lights working I will good.

4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Does the '71 have a fuse on the markers? Asking as I don't know...

5. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Tail light and front parking lights on the same fuse along with the side marker lamps thru that crazy floating ground that makes the markers blink alternately with the flashers and turn signals. Same fuse also feeds the smaller fuse going to the instrument lamps. Clean up every bulb socket and put in known working new bulbs so you will have a fighting chance to sort it out. Dash indicators help if they are in the system. All the floating ground system operates off the front parking lights to isolate them from the rear brake lights.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

No ... except for the circuit breakers in the light switch. No other breaker exists. Need to be clear, the emergency light (flasher) =does= have a fuse -- and in that sense I'll also call it a marker since it uses the same filament in the bulb. More clever stuff from Ford, switched around in that direction switch under the horn button.

7. burninbush

Amen to all of that.

I'll add further that I had ongoing problems with the half-moon connector down the steering column -- a failure in that can screw up a bunch of further circuits in the markers/break-light.

8. Hillbilly

Burninbush knows. I bet he has that wiring schematic burnt into his brain like I do but never had the desire to learn it until owning one of those Rancheros.

9. burninbush

My big surprise came when I attempted to replace a fuse in my Rustchero, only to find the entire fuse box fell apart in my hands. Then the 2nd biggest surprise came when I found out how much a used 14401 harness would cost, with no guarantee that it would even work.

I'll just say that it amazed me that so much could be done with only mechanical switches and hot wires. Wouldn't have wanted to work in the wiring department at Ford back in the day. My recollection is that 1949 was when the problems got serious (turn signals?)

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hah, luckily you don't own a '58 Skyliner:

PSX_20201015_164509.jpg

I've dealt with convertible tops, but all that gear to operate this one's a nightmare.

11. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I did wiring for the Ford dealerships in the 70's. Nobody else would touch them.
    I liked doing the wiring because it paid straight time [actual time spent on the job] and not book time.
    Anyway the 58 Skyliner was simple compared to the 61 to 69 Lincolns.
    Brought back some memory's about working on those rats nest.
    Greg

handy_andy_cv64 and The Wrench like this.
  12. handy_andy_cv64

Jay Leno has one of the Lincoln's, and yeah, much as I've done complicated wiring diagnosis/repair, I wouldn't touch one with a 39 1/2 foot battle lance, or at least not without the factory manuals, diagrams and a long-corded 12 volt test lamp.

13. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Even with all the factory manuals and updates to the wiring diagrams you still ran into problems from someone on the production line making his on changes [Drunk etc.].
    However I never let one out of the shop that wasn't right.
    Greg

14. Hillbilly

Wonder how many guys got trapped in the trunks while hunting water leaks, etc ? I have had to manually release the screw jacks twice to get fellow mechanics out of that predicament. It was hilarious !

15. handy_andy_cv64

Ooooh, that would turn me into a permanent claustrophobe! And I've scrunched my fat ass into some tight places in trunks!

16. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Got a 59 Skyliner in the shop right now and from the switch the top or trunk doesn't work, but it does work at the solenoids. I'm betting on the switch. I've restored a 58 and a 59 and worked on most of the Skyliners in northern Utah so with the factory manuals (and patience) they are not that hard it fix.