Noise in front of engine

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Gregory Cummings, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Gregory Cummings

Gregory Cummings In Second Gear

Startup after engine warm.

2. Gregory Cummings

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Sounds like a ball bearing in the early failure stages. Water pump or alternator ? I would remove the belts then run the engine for a moment while listening for that sound. With the belts off, engine stopped, spin the water pump and alternator by hand and feel for excess play in the pulleys. Should be next to zero play and quiet when they are spun by hand. Look at the belts too to check for damage, cracks or heavy wear.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hillbilly's suggestion is what I would also recommend.

5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Yes,check all the belt driven accessories.My nickel is on the air pump..

6. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Was your Wife sitting in the Passengers seat When you heard the Whining, Clacking, Rolling Pin to the Noggin noises?

7. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Or you could stick a really long screw driver (handle side please) in your ear and lean over, touch the offending parts (not the parts that are moving please) and "hear" each rotating device. The "loud" one is your problem the others will just "VVVVVVVVVV" unless of course you have multiple problems. This coming from a guy with significant hearing loss that had to learn how to hear what I can't hear, it's called bone conduction and works very well.

Cheers,

Doc

8. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Bone Conduction.
    Close your eyes, and think that 3 times quickly. :oops:o_O
    Don't say it to your wife.:eek:

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I use bone conduction to trace down bearing noises; good ones will hum like a Ma Bell phone circuit, and bad ones sound like marbles getting crushed by a pavement roller.

10. Gregory Cummings

Did anybody notice the puddle of fuel under the carburetor when I zoomed in on the carborator. The carburetor seeps from around the bowl area (not a lot). I believe my fuel evaporative system is hooked wrong as when the outside temperature gets hot and the fuel vapors expand from my fuel tank and trough the fuel evaporative canister, I think it's going straight to my bowl (instead of being held back) by the water temperature controller valve on the water pump and pushing out fuel from the carburetor. Is that possible?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You're talking liquid fuel vs. vapors, and I would say no. What I think your problem is, is that either your float has a problem, or the needle and seat are worn. If you have the factory 2150-2V, removing the top to check/service that is fairly easy. Just have a tray for the parts and screws, and take a few pics before you disassemble it.

12. csilva73-500

csilva73-500 In First Gear

As far as your fuel puddle goes check the power valve on the bottom of the carb. They are prone to leaking if the carb was rebuilt, the inner gasket around the valve can be torn easily if your not careful.