Noob in SoCal with '64 Ranchero

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by colnago, Oct 16, 2018.

1. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

All,

I finally took the plunge this weekend, and picked up a 1964-1/2 Falcon Ranchero. The registration lists it as a '64, but there are definite features that are '65 (289 engine, 5-lug hubs, front grill). The PO did a great job on the body/interior, but it's having some mechanical issues that any normal 50-year-old vehicle has. This weekend will be a rebuild on the Autolite 2100 carb (major stumble on acceleration; any gotcha's to look out for on the rebuild?), and checking the timing (she's missing the timing pointer, so I've ordered a replacement from the 'bay). I have a piston stop, so I'll also be confirming the pointer/balancer marks.

Questions to come as I stumble along. My previous ride was a '67 Ford F250, so at least I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Joseph

2. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Welcome Joseph. Lot's of knowledge and good peeps around here. Post up some pics when you can.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Welcome Joseph, and let me know if you need any info or photos of a '65. I'm retired, and have nothing better to do :)

4. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Second Gear

From another 64 1/2 owner, welcome!

5. Mike1969

Mike1969 In Fourth Gear

My accelerator pump nozzles were plugged with varnish on my 2100, which made a mean stumble. Cleaned them out with a needle.

6. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

I checked my accelerator nozzles, and they were clear as could be. I got a very steady stream when I blipped the throttle. I think I had the opposite problem. The arm linkage was on the top hole, so I moved it down two holes. It did great in the driveway, but the real-world test will be the morning commute tomorrow.

I also think the timing is way off, because I get a vibration when driving. I won't be able to check that until the weekend, though.

Joseph

7. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A vibration? DO make sure you physically check the TDC position of #1, and then, does it still have points? If so, make sure you set dwell (24-30*) before you try to set timing, but make sure the balancing ring on the damper has not slipped. If it does, it'll make the engine run with a big vibration, and trying to 'dial in' the timing will make it way too retarded...cause your exhaust manifolds to glow!

8. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Welcome Joseph... you will find plenty of help here, sarcasm too, inquiring minds want to see what it looks like!!!

colnago likes this.
  9. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

Hmmm ... I'll have to see how to decrease the size of my photo. What's the max size on this forum?

Joseph

10. handy_andy_cv64

I want to say that the max size is 640X480.

11. PonyExpressRider

anything less then 1MB... I use publisher, but any photo editor should work.

colnago likes this.
  12. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

13. DJ Clinton

Someday I hope my ride looks that good.

14. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

Thanks. She's pretty to look at, and the interior is outstanding, but she runs pretty rough. I'm hoping that on Friday I can find TDC and start checking the timing. By the way, she has a 289 with an Autolite 2100. Is there any good sources of manifold vacuum on the intake? Do I just have to be inventive to find a source?

Joseph

15. PonyExpressRider

16. DJ Clinton

Mine is a 289 with a Holly 4 barrel. Mine is in Utah and I'm in Nevada right now, but from what I can remember, vacuum to the distributor is off the base under the carb. There is also a vacuum manifold at the back of the intake manifold.

17. handy_andy_cv64

The port for dizzy vacuum is in the base on the passenger side, under the front of the choke assembly. I think I have a pic, and will post it if I find it.

18. handy_andy_cv64

BTW, I always liked the mid-60's Fords with the Torq-Thrust D's. Made for Corvettes, but best on Fords.

colnago likes this.
  19. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

The Holleys and Eddys have a port for manifold vacuum. Unfortunately, the Autolite doesn't. I haven't had ten minutes to look at the intake, though, so there might already be something back there. If not, I'll figure something out (like a 4BBL intake and a Holley/Edelbrock carb, or a 2BBL Holley; much more fun than a $5 brass fitting from AutoZone).

On a positive note, my timer pointer came in today, so Priority 1 tomorrow is to install it and set initial timing.

Joseph

20. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

Haha! Just saw the post on the location for ported vacuum. Found that on Day 1. The PO had the dizzy tube going to the passenger-side idle screw! So there was no vacuum advance, and I started out with a vacuum leak! Grrrrr! Fixed that right away.

Currently, there is a gap between the accel pump plunger and the arm. It's probably 1/8". So, when I accelerate, nothing happens ... other than the engine dieing. Hopefully, I can fix that tomorrow, too, although I may have to chuck the existing carb, and start from scratch.

Joseph