Noob in SoCal with '64 Ranchero

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by colnago, Oct 16, 2018.

1. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Amdy,

Is that Babe, the Blue Ox from NoCal? Paul Bunyon standing to one side, waving to the traffic? I have happy memories of that, and the bridge to the north with a gilded bear on each corner. God's country ...

Joseph

2. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Don't want to speak for Andy, but... It is... I was there in June and took that picture, with the intent of giving a copy to Andy...

colnago likes this.
  3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The plunger needs to be removed and polished, I'll bet. The original 2150 I had on Babe when I did the engine/trans swap, well, it got a bit corroded, so the plunger wouldn't fully return under spring pressure. Advance vacuum from the idle screw port? That's a new one on me!

4. handy_andy_cv64

He did, and so I now use it for my avatar, as my '79 GT is "Babe the Blue Ox."

5. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I checked the plunger this afternoon. I also expected it to be corroded, or to have a broken return spring inside. Nope to both; everything looked perfect. I ended up bending the rod connecting the throttle to the accel pump arm to effectively shorten it. I had to move the rod to the top hole to maximize the amount of fuel with each pump. There's still a slight stumble, but at least the engine doesn't die.

Next step is to rebuild the carb, and to check for vacuum leaks. Then maybe I can spend time on other issues (spark plug gap, TDC location, ignition timing, etc). That's the fun part for me!

Joseph

6. handy_andy_cv64

There's still a problem with that pump; the pump arm should also have two holes, so if it does, change it to the other one.

7. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Here's a couple pics of where things are right now. Before I bent the rod connecting the accel arm to the throttle, the gap was probably as big as the visible part of the plunger. So, the throttle had to travel forever before engaging the accel pump. By then, the engine would die half the time. There's still a small stumble, but there's also still a small gap. I compared the plunger and diaphragm to those in the rebuild kit, and everything looked perfect. Is it customary to bend the connecting rod, or do I have the wrong one, or ... ?

Joseph

20181020_121432.jpg

20181020_121447.jpg

Attached Files:

8. handy_andy_cv64

You can bend the rod but I don't recommend it. The arm does have the two holes, so if you unclip the rod and remove it from the throttle arm, you can change which hole the other end is in.