OBD2 scanner

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Clark, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Anyone recommend an OBD2 scanner? This would be only for my 2002 Ford Ranger. I get tired of running back and forth to the parts store.

A bluetooth connection to my iPhone would seem like a good choice.

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Good to see you around, Clark.
    I like the self contained ones.
    I not only want to pick it up off the shelf in 2 years and not have to find some other obsolete unit, but i subscribe to KISS (keep it simple stupid)

3. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

I agree with Ribald. I have 2 handhelds, one was $19.95, the other around $40. One is slightly easier to use but are functionally pretty much the same. They display the code (Pxxx) and what it means ('O2 bank2 sensor2 slow response' for example). Both hard codes and pending codes. And they let you clear them.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I assume you're wanting Mode 1 and 6 access? If I get lucky this coming year and find a universal unit, I'll want to see both live data (Mode 1) and event parameters (Mode 6). Having access to the freeze-frames would be a nice extra. But if you just want code scan and clear, the HF unit does a credible job. It reads/clears both set and pending codes, reads monitor readiness, reads the VIN and a couple other items. Durable and hand-sized so you can drop it into your pocket when you aren't using it.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

With the Bluetooth obd dongle, be aware that the cheap Chinese ones don't support every protocol (the 97 chevy truck one, for example) even though they claim to. Not sure what yours would use though. I use mine with an app called torque pro, which is really useful and allows graphing etc of the ecm inputs.

6. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Torque Lite or Pro if you have an Android Smart Phone and it will work with any bluetooth module.

7. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive

Ha
    harbor freight has some good cheap CEN-Tech ones. OBDI OBDII and ABS support