Oil gasket leaking

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Kris S., May 22, 2020.

1. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

So I had a leak in the oil pan gasket. Went ahead and got a felpro OS 30227 C replacement gasket. Got it installed but still leaking from the bottom of the timing cover. Anyone know if there's a trick to installing the gasket on the 351M motor? 79 Chero

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

All oil pan jobs get black spooge in the corners and along the curve of the front. No matter how well the gaskets are engineered, they always get a leak at sometime. Oh, and cleanliness is your friend, otherwise the black spooge won't adhere.

Kris S. likes this.
  3. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

I was trying to go minimal. So I need to cake it on?

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

No. You should only need it in the corners where the rubber end seals meet the cork, nowhere else, and not a lot. Just make sure the surfaces are clean and dry, and that the end seals meet up with the cork properly. If it's leaking in the front, before you take it apart again, try and see exactly where it's leaking from.

Kris S. likes this.
  5. Kris S.

Kris S. In Second Gear

Well I think it's because of a gap in the replacement timing cover. Where the rubber gasket meets. It's a little over a quarter inch gap. We used some jbweld to close it up. Hoping that works. 3rd time replacing the gasket, hopefully the last.

Attached Files: