OIL PRESSURE DROPS

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Pookieja, Jul 23, 2018.

1. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I would strongly urge you to try some heavier oil, if it has some "issues" that won't fix them, but it would most likely delay or prevent them from getting worse. Ticking after the engine warms up is usually a sign of excessive clearances, showing up due to the thinning of the oil as it heats up. A "thicker" oil (20W50) will help take up some of the clearance and quiet it down, and you would see an increase in pressure to go with it. It's by far the cheapest test you can try, the quickest test to try, and possibly the solution to your problem. Let everybody know the results.
    P.S. Even a small amount of fuel will dilute (read:thin) your oil (from flooding/running rich) and can have adverse effects.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Start simple and cheap, change the oil and filter and step up the oil as suggested by pmrphil to a 20/50 VR1, the older motors with flat tappets need a zinc additive or it will cause premature wear to the valve train.

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

You beat me to it, we must have been typing at the same time.

4. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

Thanks i'll get sum heavy oil from auto zone this afternoon

5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I heard you thinking it. :eek: :p

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  6. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

OK I just purchased some 20W50VR1.. Racing oil. With heavy duty Bosch Filter.

7. 1965 Ranchero 66G

I hope its that easy , if so it is just a bandaid.

8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The thing is that the heavier oil will likely mask either problem, pump or bearings.
    That is why I asked for the compression test, and if the problem came on suddenly or has been building up.

9. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

I've only driven it one trip this year about 45 miles maybe 50. Last year I believe I put around 75 miles on the truck. it also did the same ticking after it wormed up when stoping at stop signs.
    As I previously mentioned, i have only put a little over 400 miles on the car in fives plus years.
    If memory serves me right I remember it doing this same ticking noise 3 years ago but with limited use I guess I forget about it and park it for the season again dumb on my part I realize.
    Out of sight out of mind and now I'm looking to use it more often and hearing the ticking.
    It's my fault that I have not done the compression test yet that probly should have been done before i drained the oil. I havnt put the new oil in yet, was letting it drain over night

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Darn. That down time would've been the perfect time to do the work to ferret out the problem and fix it.

11. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

12. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Another inexpensive idea might be Marvel Mystery Oil or Rislone engine treatment. I've used both in the past with success.

13. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

before adding the 20w50 oil im going to add 10w30 oil i have sitting around and a cheap oil filter to check the compression levels and valve train. I feel this is a great first starting idea. I just jumped the gun and drained the oil but that's an easy fix. I may be a couple of day's with results as the doctor app. come first. thanks again to all..

14. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

I have Marvel Mystery oil on shelf and will us it after i test the compression & noise possibly in the valve train area. thanks

15. Robin

Robin In First Gear

Sounds like cam bearings to me! I uesd STP for 5 years in my 72 351c before I rebuilt it.

16. Pookieja

Pookieja In Second Gear

no good news to add.. just strained the oil that i drained last week and found lots of metal shavings and small metal gritt in oil. Was going to cut open oil filter for further review of contents..I haven't checked oil pressure as of yet,really tight to get around power steering res. to disconnect/connect to top of oil filter to check pressure.. Nor have I ran engine to operating temp. to check cylinder compression due to not wanting to run engine. Plus its so tight along side the shock towers to loosen plugs when engine is hot..really tight and hot..I'm not sure if its shavings from the bearings/Babbitt or cam shaft. Really disappointed, No excuses just haven't had time.

17. ribald1

The compression test doesn't need to be done with the engine hot.

18. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Not trying to dampen spirits, but once metal(shavings/particles) are found inside the oil filter media in ANY discernable amount, it is too late for band-aid fixes. It is rebuild/replacement time, for what you found in the filter is just the tip of the iceberg and all the bearing surfaces within the engine had some of that crap between them and the metal surface they are supposed to protect. Hope you get it straightened out and/or find the source of the metal debris.

19. ribald1

Unless it is a bearing failure no metal should get into the bearings.
    That is why the oil filter is there.
    It does matter what failed, but if your rings are shot it becomes moot and you need a rebuild anyway so not much point in doing anything else. That is why I recommended the compression test.

20. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

He's right.