Ok, why the heck are El Caminos more popular than Rancheros?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 70_Ranchero_GT, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

70 chevELle Camino:

[​IMG]

The 68-72 Chevelle is one of the coolest muscle car looks ever. (Although the Cutlass line was much nicer for those years IMHO) And the 70 may be the best of that crop, too. That's a beauty, wouldn't mind owning one. Someone up the thread said there's documented proof that the 72 Ranchero is the best looking of all El's and Cheros, but I don't see where that's actually documented other than from someone's opinion! :D I guarantee I'd take a 72 El Camino SS454 over a 72 CJ351 Chero anyday. Now don't get me wrong; I bleed blue. But that just happens to be a very sharp car.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Thanks John that bring back a lot of memories.........what I would give to get back some of the chevelle and elkys I have had. had 2 70 LS6 SS chevelles 1 4 speed and one automatic paid 550 for the automatic one because it had a "rod knock" turned out to be a busted flex plate. also had 3 70 elkys none factory big block but I cloned a yellow SS 454. and I have to agree they look a lot better than all the rancheros. except maybe a 57.

3. ForistellFord

Hold it there, Tiger. I never said ALL. I think the 73 Torino/Chero is cooler than that. It's just not what I think of as a 'muscle' car. I have what I want most with Charlie. If I ever hit it big I'll have a 70 'Velle and a 68 Cutlass, maybe even an old Mopar too. But Charlie stays with me forever no matter what.

4. 5.0 Chero

Or untill he rotts away like the last one!

5. ForistellFord

Bullsauce! Not this time. Besides that 74 had pre-existing rust issues, and the timing was bad for me. By the way I have been updating the 73 for the last few weeks, and I expect to be DD'ing it within the month.

6. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I think all this Chevelle / Camino talk is just '70 - '71 envy. There is one Chero body that combines beauty and grace. 'Nuff said.

7. ForistellFord

Speaking of combined... Isn't your Ratchero a combination of like 38 different JYD's cobbled together? :cool::p;)

8. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Lets not forget

As far back as I can remember almost every automotive publication out there was heavily GM (Chevy) oriented,, I can remember sending a nasty gram to Hot Rod asking just how much stock GM owned in them, In the american idea of bigger is better it just wouldn't do for #2 or #3 to out do the largest manafacturer in the USA, Now couple that with the myth that their engines are so much better and parts can be purchased at the local 7 Eleven and always cheaper than Ford or Mopar ,,, Its easy to see how the Crapino got more popular,,, If you make it easy for the non thinkers they will folow like sheep!!!!

9. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Spot on old chap:D

10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I had a friend who had a silver w/black stripes, '70' SS Camino with a 427/4-speed. That was one fast mother and, like DF said, better looking than any Ranchero between the 71 and 73 model years.
    And, I'm called a 'fat boy', which I'm not, so I return the volley with 'little man' and my thread gets deleted. Should I have complained first? Whatever. And, for future reference, please DO NOT EVER delete a thread where I am made fun of or ridiculed.

11. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

What was deleted?

What was deleted? I didn't delete anything...

12. 5.0 Chero

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

If we gonna sling mud let's sling historical mud then argue about whose ride got hit with the ugly stick later. We sorta' know what engines Ol' Henry produced so let's check out Ol' Louie C. just to get it right. Chevy didn't start out competing with Henry's tin bucket at first ya'll. In 1917 Chevy's had a 288 cid overhead valve 90 degree V8. They built them for two years so they aren't that scarce. It's only after understanding there was more money to be made selling smaller cars like Fords that the Chevys went to fours and sixes. Alright, now back to the food fight !

14. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Sorry, I guess I didn't notice I was called a Fat Man here also. BTW: I ain't fat. ;)

15. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

Re-read what I wrote Sean, I never called or implied you were a "fat boy"...:rolleyes:

16. ForistellFord

No, no, and no. 73 is not included in that. Th 73 Torino is a ton better looking than a 73 Malibutt. 68-72, that's different.

17. Louis

Louis In Overdrive

GM did something that Ford should have, all GM V8s, V6s , I6s, & 4cyl share the same bellhousing bolt pattern from the 1930s to the present time. Plus many other parts interchange, more so than Ford. This made it cheaper and easyer to build a GM than a Ford. Another thing, in the late 1950s and early 1960s GM was marketing to the drag racers, while Ford was marketing to the oval track crowd. GM understood the buying power of the babyboomers long before any other automaker did.

18. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Thank you Spence, for adding to the original intent of this thread. I'm going to the bookstore later, to do some magazine counting. Although Hot rod, Car Craft, and Popular Hot Rodding throw us the occasional non-GM bone, they're still Chevy-oriented. So I'll throw them in the count along with Stupid Chevy
    when totaling the number of Ford mags vs. Chevy mags on the shelf. The media represents Chevys as being most popular, because most of them don't know any better. There was a lot I didn't say in my 'history lesson', that could have fueled the Fordvs.Chevy arguments. I'm looking at buying a '86 Z28 that needs paint and some detailing, because it's cheap. And I know that there are folks out there that will pay stupid money for it, which will fund my next Mustang. As far as '68-72 ElCos go-they'd look GREAT with a Buick Skylark GS front end, and a Stage 1 455 for some stump-pulling torque !!!

19. ForistellFord

I'll just add that my opinoins on these cars is based on what I think about how they look. I'm no bowtie sheep. I just think that Chevelles, Cutlasses, GTO's, etc look pretty sharp. Nova's on the other hand, *shudder*. Nova's are definitely my very least favorite so-called muscle car ever. Yenko, schmenko. Never been a vette or a 'camero' fan either. Really, to each his own.

As for why the tie is more popular than the oval, it's like everyone's already said quite well. I'm glad I like Cheros, and I am also glad they're not as popular. Ain't no way you can go get a 72 El Camino SS in good shape as cheap as you could get the equivalent Chero. I'd just as soon it stay that way. Yak.

20. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Wrong!!! The Buick, Olds, and Pontiac engines use one bellhousing bolt pattern, Chevys use another. Anybody ever watch the old Two Guys Garage
    show, when they did that '79 ElCo project? It had a 454/TH400 combo, and they put a Ford E4OD trans into it! There's even a kit made for the swap!BTW, what ever happened to Dave? He made it easier to tolerate Sam. JD