Old school chopper

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by beerbelly, Sep 27, 2018.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

One of my classmates from our reunion just sent me a photo of his chopper from the early 70’s. He and a buddy rode down from Minnesota to visit me when I was stationed in Illinois, but the guards wouldn’t let them on the base; probably thought they were dangerous hippie/commies, so I had to meet them at the gate. I borrowed a buddy's 2-stroke Yamaha, filled it with regular gas like a dope, and burned up the piston on a ride into town with them. That’s how I learned about gas/oil mix!

Harley.JPG

TestDummy likes this.
  2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Hurts my back just looking at it..

TestDummy likes this.
  3. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I rode a hardtail for years. As long as you don't do jumps or hit speed bumps at 40MPH they aren't hard on the back at all.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

......And drive around California exclusively, where there is no freeze/thaw cycle to demolish the roads. Hardtail down this.

[​IMG]

5. ribald1

No freeze/thaw in CA?:rolleyes: We have that over much of the state, and on top of that, the ground tends to move around due to all the underground faults.
    Half our state is at a higher latitude than Virginia, the Bay Area near the same.
    Apparently, though, we are much better at making and maintaining roads.
    Even poor Oregon has better roads than that.

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

No freeze/thaw like below zero one week, near 50 the next. You knew what I meant, but I know you must be a douche to everything I post. It's all good.
    Michigan roads are the worst. Last time there I drove down a road I'd driven on hundreds of times but couldn't recognize it. No lines, just moonscape. Embarrassing. It's hard finding someone who hasn't bent a rim or broke a strut.

7. Huevos

Thanks to Jerry Brown a lot of our roads look like that even without freezing..

8. ribald1

Sorry douchette. I forgot you were an expert on CA and the weather here. I should have realized that not only were you joking about CA weather, but you also weren't talking abut the weather where you are.
    I have been to Alaska. The roads there are better than that also.
    Seriously, you guys need to learn how to build and maintain roads. Actually I suspect that stuff there isn't built for the long haul because the lack of flood control plus the large storms that hit the east coast lend to making things rapidly and inexpensively. That picture shows a thinner roadway than we would use on a residential side street.

9. ribald1

Nothing like that within 100 miles of here that I have seen.
    Roads here (almost all of them) are local, city and county funded. If yours are in bad shape, bother your city and county. Sacramento partly funds state highways only, but mostly only for upgrades.

10. Huevos

11. ribald1

Well, some people bitch about a problem, some people fix the problem.

12. Huevos

I'm gonna go buy a Pizza..

13. ribald1

Now, that's how you do it!