Oops, busted power steering mount

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by neil brown, Nov 3, 2019.

1. neil brown

neil brown In Second Gear

So this happened today, luckily when I was parking at home after a little drive out. The mounting studs have ripped out of the chassis, and the mount snapped. Is this common? Chassis doesn’t look rusty around the stud holes.
    I’m not sure wether to weld a plate with captive studs to the chassis, or cut out the damaged area and put a new piece in. Obviously if I over plate it an off the shelf bracket will no longer fit as the through bolt hole will be too high for the bracket. What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What about nutserts?

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

That's my go to, been using them for year's if they work for the application.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

You may have to drill the old ones out, if they are still attached. I had to do repairs on a '70 Squire, including having the head of the ram welded back on, and if I remember correctly, the weldnuts only had three or four tack welds, so they could be popped out without damaging the frame rail, I think....

5. neil brown

Thanks guys. If you look at the picture of the frame, you will see hexagonal shaped holes where the head has been pulled through the chassis, so the hole is now to big for nutserts. Nice idea tho. Mine are bolts or studs that were pulled through.

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Carriage bolts, possibly, for a replacement?

7. neil brown

Found these today, probably what was used the first time the ps was fitted, although doesn’t ps come standard on deluxe? Any way, this set has slightly larger ‘inserts’ so hopefully they’ll grab the stretched hole. I may Tig them in after as well. These and a new mount ordered, should be driving again soon
    https://mustangmaniac.co.uk/part/52/4386/steering_frame_rail_nut_kit

8. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

My '64 Deluxe does not have power steering. I have the rams for adding PS, but I would have to find a PS pump. That's really low on my list.

Joseph

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

did you figure out what was the cause of them ripping out? something must be binding

10. neil brown

No wonder it pulled out, whatever mechanical genius fitted the mount opted not to install the chassis nut inserts, but instead grind down the heads on some bolts, poke them into the chassis holes, do them up and I assume try to catch the inside edge of the holes!!
    I’ve fitted the inserts now, had to flatten the holes a bit from where the bolt head had damaged them. The inserts span tho when I tried to compress them, so they got tig welded in and then compressed.
    I don’t like this drop mount much, but it’s all I could get hold of over here, and I’m driving it again. I’ll keep an eye out for an oem one .

Attached Files: