Over-heating will be defeated

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by RancheroRandy, Jun 4, 2019.

1. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Overdrive

Made myself go slowly and methodically and plan every step before doing (my life with one arm/hand) and I got my new thermostat housing mounted today. I got some very good housing RTV that helped a lot! new thermo housing.jpg Once I get things refilled (not until tomorrow per RTV instructions, dang!) I can start it back up and see if anything has magically changed, ha!

2. RancheroRandy

Got it all back together an refilled with coolant and let it idle for about 30 minutes (and made a friggin mess because I didn't take the recovery tank top off with the radiator cap off...it's gotta expand somewhere, no duh!) with the garage 78 degrees and VERY humid: it went up to about 190 and when I added only about 12 oz of coolant it dropped down to around 180 and pretty much stayed there....am I just being anal??? Post 160 thermostat.jpg

3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

No, you're not. I didn't do the idle-in-my-driveway trick (I wasn't that patient), so I had a lot of drive/burp/cool/fill to do on mine. Gotta get that air out. I hope your overheating issues are now behind you.

Joseph

4. RancheroRandy

After it cools down I'm gonna jack-up the front end in the driveway and do the burp-thing and see if I get anything....can't hurt! I drove around the 'hood some and the temp never got past 180...let it idle in the driveway foot braking it in drive and it went up to about 190 but didn't seem to want to go past that, though I admit it was only a couple of mins... I'll go to the weekly car gathering tomorrow if it doesn't storm and that may tell me more...?

colnago likes this.
  5. RancheroRandy

I got to thinking (scary, yes!) and I had never checked the trans cooling lines and low and behold they were reversed! Switched them and let it run for 30 minutes and it never got over 170 degrees in a 82 degree garage so gonna take it for a spin and see what gives...? Correct now.jpg

6. RancheroRandy

Drove it around a bit (outside temp 79 degrees) and the temp gauge never got over 180 then let it idle in driveway and it went up to 200 after about 5 minutes but didn't seem to go above that...real test will be when it's hotter and idling in traffic...

7. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

Forgive my ignorance, but there's a correct direction and an incorrect direction? Which line goes to which port on the cooler? I'm also looking at getting a dedicated cooler for my C4, to help with cooling my '64. If there's a wrong way to hook it up, I'll probably do it!

Joseph

8. RancheroRandy

Well, it would be cooled either way however much more effective/efficient if the hot is on the top and the cold on the bottom. Some coolers have the hot/cold on same end and on those it doesn't matter however when I have used those types (only once before and had a semi-long discussion with the manufacturer) I still orient it hot on top cold below...

9. RancheroRandy

Well, one step forward and 3 steps backwards: I headed for the weekly gathering of gearheads and to test the cooling system since the temp was up to 90...but didn't get too far. Part of the trip involves a stretch of expressway with 65 MPH and when I sped up past 55 MPH the fan started hitting my newly enlarged shroud! I was determined to go but had to turn around as it got worse. So I pull into my garage (which has heated up to 100 now) open the hood and feverishly try to rip off the shroud extenders I made and try and head back out to the gathering. Well, got it off fairly easily (surprisingly) while sweating buckets (ah, all that engine heat adding to the already hot/poorly ventilated garage) and tried to bend /distort the shroud at the top where it had been hitting and the weld snapped at the corner of the shroud...rats! After taking the whole shroud off I could where it looks like the radiator had been repaired (kinda hard to see) and wonder if that may be contributing to my cooling problems...??? broken shroud weld.jpg radiator repair .jpg

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Only if the repairs closed off any tubes.

11. RancheroRandy

Decided to put electric fan to address the continued high temps; I got the highest CFM (2,400) for a low profile I could find; of course things are not progressing or going as smoothly as hoped...should I be surprised??? o_O Derale Fan.jpg Radiator1.jpg Radiator2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  12. RancheroRandy

I'm going to be doing some cutting to radiator support to move and mount the fan forward for clearance with the pulley...nothing is simple... Radiator support1.jpg Radiator Support2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  13. RancheroRandy

No turning back now...hacked and whacked radiator support for more clearance/moving it forward; with fan loosely on it I now have about 1/2" clearance between the pully and the fan motor...should be enough I hope! Now to remount the radiator... Hacking Radiator Support.jpg Radiator repositioned.jpg Fan Clearance.jpg

Hillbilly likes this.
  14. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yup, that's what I did with my 64 Sprint, but I made the opening wider and went with a 20" radiator instead of the 16".

15. RancheroRandy

I plan on doing so over the Winter...this will be a test of sorts to see if the culprit is the radiator...I have my suspicions.... Radiator repair.jpg

16. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

What the heck is that? silicone or JB weld?

17. RancheroRandy

Neither....it seems to be aluminum...like a weld? Strange I know.... :eek:

18. RancheroRandy

Nothing is easy that's for sure...wired-up the fan with the Summit brand relay and thermostat kit (even though there was a Derale thermostat already mounted on the manifold...didn't know if it was good?) and started my cruck (hence to be named Ruby) and the temp got up to 200 before I shut it off...the thermostat should have kicked the fan on at 185. Argh! Rechecked my connections (so much for the pretty heat shrink joints!) and the fan ground and everything checked out then I got to thinking about the thread sealant I put on the thermostat? So after grounding the wire from the relay to the thermostat of course it worked. So went through draining the radiator again, cleaning the threads on the thermostat and on the manifold (yes, engine itself is grounded) re-installing thermostat and refilling radiator but the fan still will not come on at 185!!! I grounded the thermostat wire just to see if the fan would cool the engine temp (was wondering about the radiator) and it went from 200 to 165 in short order, whew! I tried grounding just the thermostat body while it was running but it still would not turn on the fan....so, bad thermostat? May try the other thermostat but was trying to avoid draining radiator a 3rd time. Any ideas??? thermo pre-cleaning2.jpg butchered heat shrink.jpg

19. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Maybe try loosening/removing the sending unit with a full radiator to see if the sending unit is immersed in water/coolant, may have a water level issue in that rear crossover, just a thought. I use (2) Derale adjustable cooling fan controllers so I can set my own turn on and turn off temps, I always had my doubts on a sending unit's "actual" target temp, not just what they are rated for. Hope this helps.

20. RancheroRandy

I'll try that...already have made some messes... :(