Past Winter Project

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by bscottie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

I spent 5 months working on my 84 1/2 anny car, about the time I got close to being done I picked up the ranchero, I have an unresolved issue and hadnt had the heart to get back going yet to get completed, it all started to fix an oil leak and do some cleaning, I upgraded the front suspension while I had it down, after 5 long months of hand cleaning every individual bolt, nut, and screw and a LOT of painting and cleaning I got to the point below.:eek:

Started here, very dirty and a leaking oil pan gasket, I pulled the motor last year and used cork gaskets, they didn't hold:(

the beginning

[​IMG]

very dirty

[​IMG]

the source of my pain

[​IMG]

2. bscottie

a little progress on cleaning and prep

[​IMG]

fender wells

[​IMG]

about done under hood

[​IMG]

more dirt

[​IMG]

bottor of car done - front half only for now, rear is next winter, at least before I got the ranchero

[​IMG]

3. bscottie

hood cleaned up nice

[​IMG]

new suspension and a few other pieces

[​IMG]

motor is looking good and almost ready to go back in

[​IMG]

manifolds cleaned up nice

[​IMG]

4. bscottie

here's where I am at, got the motor back in, car runs, leaks oil worse than it did, best I can figure is the new oil pan is a bit off or just not compatible with the one piece rubber seal, will get back after it soon I hope super fun car to drive, it is # 990 of 5261 20th anniversary Mustangs, I bought from the car museum in Sacramento back in March of 08, even tried to sell a few times

[​IMG]

looks good with a lowered stance

[​IMG]

5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice work scottie!Had to swap pan to front sump on my 89 5.0. donner.OE had fitted 1/8 flat bar between pan and bolts,torks pan even without dimpling bolt holes.Used fel-pro rubber gaskets dry,dab of sealant at corners.Got stock pan if ya need one.

6. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

dang thats getting to it!...looks terrific but still a leak? hmm I thought those one piece gaskets were supposed to make things easy? 4-eyed pride! :D

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Hey I made the same bone head move.......Frickin Chrome oil pans suck!!!!!!! go back to the stock FORD pan!

8. bscottie

I am, just got to get the courage to go back at it:eek:

9. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

Stuff like that does have the tendency to take the wind out of your sail. Let the pissed-o-meter settle back down before you get after it again. I went through it once with a chrome oil pan too. Here is a link to me favorite gasket dressing. http://www.gasgacinch.com/index.htm

10. bscottie

I have taken some rags and duct taped them to the bottom of the car, the wind was definitely taken out of the sails after this one, I spent too many slow meticulous hours on that one, it still stings, it will take several more months to complete the planned work when I do get back started, goal is to get the ranchero primed, new wheels, a few electrical gremlins straightened out, motor swapped and let it go for a while. once I do get the stang completed I will get back on the Ranchero making the body work cleaner and putting paint on it, I have a years worth of work, of course money will start to dictate time soon, I have another 84 stang I need to get ready for a soon to be driving teenager, a motor swap and body work is standing by on that one too. anybody care to come help or loan me some money??:D

11. 5.0 Chero

Mine has been the leaking for 5 yeare because I am to lazy to pull it back out....The worse part is that as I was bolting on the pan I told myself this is a mistake chrome pan is going to leak,

12. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

I don't have a chrome pan -- but why are they especially prone to leaking?

13. 5.0 Chero

99.9% are stamped out in China...........Need I say more?

14. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

I ordered a can of that stuff from summit when I put my Mustang engine back together last year. I think it's great stuff! Installing the intake gasket was a lot easier.

15. rancheromeister

rancheromeister In Overdrive

Seems like Ford Motorsport/Racing had an external reinforcement kit at one time, that fit between the pan rail and bolts. I think around '90 or so, all 302s came with the one-piece rubber gasket, with the metal bolt hole inserts.:cool:JD

16. bscottie

just ordered a new Ford Racing oil pan, as soon as I take care of a few more things on the Ranchero I will get this fixed...........hopefully!

17. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

good deal. It can knock you down but not out!

18. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

I agree. It is by far the best gasket dressing on the market IMO. It used to be easier to find but it is worth searching down.

19. bscottie

well my anny is finally back on the road with no leaks, got all pscyhed out to drop the Kmember to pull the pan, after lifting the motor I pulled the gasket out, it was a new Ford Racing one piece, I compared it to the recent new Ford One piece and it was obvious it was not even close to being stamped and made right, I put some RTV on the new gasket, put it all back together and now back in business. I also did another rebuild on the carb since the first rebuild I made a few stupid mistakes. I have been out all morning riding around, already drove the car more today than it has been driven all year, the new suspension makes it a nice road hugger now without any harsness!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: