Picture of 1975 Factory Air Cleaner for 351 w/ 2 BBL Carb.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by vespaholic, Feb 13, 2020.

1. vespaholic

vespaholic In Second Gear

Anyone have one?
    Also if anyone has a clear picture of a factory engine compartment, that would be great.
    Thanks

2. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

76 Gran Torino S&H with 351-2V Windsor.
    All the 72-76 H code 351-2V engines pretty much used the same air cleaner
    The engine compartments look the same 72-76 and Ranchero is identical to the Gran Torino.
    The brake master cylinder cover should be gold cadmium plated
    This is Non Air Conditioning car 17669769-1976-ford-gran-torino-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg 17669784-1976-ford-gran-torino-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg 17669756-1976-ford-gran-torino-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg 64-42730.jpg

3. vespaholic

Perfect!
    Thanks!!

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Got one off a 74 351 vespa.70.00 shipped.

Attached Files:

5. vespaholic

Thanks, but that does not seem to have the place for the wires to connect on the left side.
    I looked at mine more closely.
    Looks to be correct but someone may have changed the snorkel as it's not correct.
    May buy this for the snorkel.
    Standby.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wires? Can you post a pic? It sounds like an emissions component you may no longer need. I remember my '74 Squire had something on the air cleaner that was wired (unlike the snorkel flapper, which is vacuum), but disconnected.

7. vespaholic

@handy_andy_cv64 Check out the pictures in the 2nd post above.
    You'll see what I mean.
    All my smog crap is still there, so needed or not, I'd like to put everything as close to original as possible.

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Not all of them had the wiring to connect to that temperature sensor in the air filter base. Not all of them had the sensor, some had a rubber body plug in the hole or no hole period. Some had the sensor but none of the rest of the system. To find out if you really had that system that was functional you will need to know what DSO ( Sales District ) your Ranchero was intended to be sold in. There were ten or more sales districts back then and some required more elaborate smog equipment while others ( the majority of the country ) only had to have the egr and cats to be certified legal. Way back in "75" your engine came with a sticker on the valve cover that told what smog calibration system was installed. Unfortunately the sticker was the first thing under the hood to degrade to unreadable or completely vanish. This was not the orange sticker with timing, spark plug, and engine size.

9. vespaholic

@Hillbilly Thanks for the reply.
    The air cleaner that came with the car looks exactly like the one in Post #2 above with the same electrical connector at the front left side of the car and one underneath I believe.
    I'll take a picture tomorrow.
    The snorkel on my air cleaner is not correct as it is not long enough and does not have the drop tube to go to the heat riser at the exhaust manifold.
    My car still has the weird looking tube that goes from just behind the snorkel to a canister of some sort down low near the frame on the car's right side.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

That odd aluminum lined cardboard tube ran down to a charcoal holding canister that collected fumes from the top of the fuel tank. No controlling valve in that circuit.

11. vespaholic

Correct; no controlling valve.

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Ah, my '74 didn't have that device; if I remember, it has to do with air temperature for the EGR? I'd have to look it up.