Picture of 1975 Factory Air Cleaner for 351 w/ 2 BBL Carb.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by vespaholic, Feb 13, 2020.

1. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

Anyone have one?
    Also if anyone has a clear picture of a factory engine compartment, that would be great.
    Thanks

2. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

76 Gran Torino S&H with 351-2V Windsor.
    All the 72-76 H code 351-2V engines pretty much used the same air cleaner
    The engine compartments look the same 72-76 and Ranchero is identical to the Gran Torino.
    The brake master cylinder cover should be gold cadmium plated
    This is Non Air Conditioning car 17669769-1976-ford-gran-torino-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg 17669784-1976-ford-gran-torino-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg 17669756-1976-ford-gran-torino-srcset-retina-xxl.jpg 64-42730.jpg

3. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

Perfect!
    Thanks!!

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Got one off a 74 351 vespa.70.00 shipped.

Attached Files:

5. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

Thanks, but that does not seem to have the place for the wires to connect on the left side.
    I looked at mine more closely.
    Looks to be correct but someone may have changed the snorkel as it's not correct.
    May buy this for the snorkel.
    Standby.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wires? Can you post a pic? It sounds like an emissions component you may no longer need. I remember my '74 Squire had something on the air cleaner that was wired (unlike the snorkel flapper, which is vacuum), but disconnected.

7. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@handy_andy_cv64 Check out the pictures in the 2nd post above.
    You'll see what I mean.
    All my smog crap is still there, so needed or not, I'd like to put everything as close to original as possible.

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Not all of them had the wiring to connect to that temperature sensor in the air filter base. Not all of them had the sensor, some had a rubber body plug in the hole or no hole period. Some had the sensor but none of the rest of the system. To find out if you really had that system that was functional you will need to know what DSO ( Sales District ) your Ranchero was intended to be sold in. There were ten or more sales districts back then and some required more elaborate smog equipment while others ( the majority of the country ) only had to have the egr and cats to be certified legal. Way back in "75" your engine came with a sticker on the valve cover that told what smog calibration system was installed. Unfortunately the sticker was the first thing under the hood to degrade to unreadable or completely vanish. This was not the orange sticker with timing, spark plug, and engine size.

9. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@Hillbilly Thanks for the reply.
    The air cleaner that came with the car looks exactly like the one in Post #2 above with the same electrical connector at the front left side of the car and one underneath I believe.
    I'll take a picture tomorrow.
    The snorkel on my air cleaner is not correct as it is not long enough and does not have the drop tube to go to the heat riser at the exhaust manifold.
    My car still has the weird looking tube that goes from just behind the snorkel to a canister of some sort down low near the frame on the car's right side.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  10. Hillbilly

That odd aluminum lined cardboard tube ran down to a charcoal holding canister that collected fumes from the top of the fuel tank. No controlling valve in that circuit.

11. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

Correct; no controlling valve.

12. handy_andy_cv64

Ah, my '74 didn't have that device; if I remember, it has to do with air temperature for the EGR? I'd have to look it up.

13. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@Hillbilly You seem pretty knowledgeable about the emission system.
    I've sourced a proper snorkel, so I'm ready to start putting the air cleaner together properly.
    Hope you don't mind a few questions.
    1) Any idea where to source the "odd aluminum lined cardboard tube ran down to a charcoal holding canister that collected fumes from the top of the fuel tank"? If I knew what it was called I could probably Google it.
    2) Any idea where to source the proper Snorkel to Radiator Support rectangular flex air intake duct?
    3) There is a "heater-hose-sized" rubber tube that comes out of the smog pump on my car and goes nowhere. Is there a canister similar to what's on the smog pump of my 1970 Boss that it should go into? Where does it go from there?
    4) The flapper on the new snorkel will go to the left side of the main air cleaner body. Then there is another tube coming out from the same place. Where does that go? I assume vacuum from the carb but I'm not sure.
    5) The pictures you shared above were a huge help. Any other detailed pics of the engine compartment would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tony

14. Hillbilly

NAPA parts store had that cardboard flex tube in stock here the last time I replaced one. The plastic inlet duct is tough to find. Junk yard or maybe somewhere like Green Sales, maybe even Eckler's group of Ford parts. The output hose on the smog pump first went to a diverter valve that was vacume operated, then on to either a one way valve on the intake or also to a hard line stainless tube with a one way valve connected to the catalectic converter, possibly both. The vacume hose on the flapper vacume motor first goes to a bi-metal heat sensitive control valve in the air cleaner casing then another hose goes from the control valve to an constant intake vacume source. Just remembered that it is possible that the air cleaner snorkel could have had a large diameter version of the aluminum lined cardboard tube bent in a "S" curve to connect with the heat box on the exhaust manifold. Originally had a big hose clamp holding the big tube on to the snorkel but no clamp on the exhaust manifold end. Now, it is possible that the smog pump fed into an air manifold tube thru a one way valve that mounted to the firewall side of both engine heads instead of into a passage inside the intake manifold. I don't know which version your 351 came with and I don't currently have a 351 to look at. Confused yet ?

15. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

Yup!
    But good info!.
    Let me digest.
    Thanks

16. handy_andy_cv64

If you have a 351M/400, the upper Thermactor port is on the front of the intake, next to the dizzy. I can shoot a pic of the port, I think, on Landyacht's 351M.

17. Hillbilly

Andy, he has a 351- W. Only seen a few that had the passage in the intake. Think most had holes in the back of the heads for the thermactor pump to blow into the exhaust. Like a 5.0 with the crossover pipe with check valve. Had screw in plugs on the front of the heads with threads inside them used to bolt on the front accessorys. Remember those ? Sure wish he still had the calibration sticker but I know it will be long gone. Nearly the same set-up as a 90 Town Car 5.0.

18. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@Hillbilly This decal?
    Also put an overall engine shot.

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:
  19. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

Better Pics.....

Attached Files:

20. Hillbilly

The decal I mentioned is more like a paper post-it-note, white with black lettering. Most likely located on the front end of a valve cover. Very likely not a trace remains. The orange decal gives only the basics, not the specific cats, egr, control calibrations, etc. Without that info I can only guess at what it came with. Odd how life pulls a full circle on ya and later bites you in the rear. Spent many a day yanking and ripping all this smog crap off engines just to get better performance only to realize that if those parts were preserved and documented as to their use - - I could have a small fortune on my hands. Too late ! Thousands of dollars of new parts hauled to the crusher, all gone forever.

Lincolnut likes this.