Picture of 1975 Factory Air Cleaner for 351 w/ 2 BBL Carb.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by vespaholic, Feb 13, 2020.

1. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@Hillbilly
    This is the only other decal that remains on the valve covers.

Attached Files:

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

WOW ! That's it ! Remarkably intact too ! Now test out your sleuthing skills to first find the factory shop manual that decodes that info then let's you know what parts you need to replace to make it original. Might pay to get to be friends with the guy at a local dealership who is in charge of their repair books. Most dealerships that have been in business a long time have an extensive library and are willing to let you use their copier or maybe even borrow the manuals you need. Great find !

3. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@Hillbilly
    Cool!
    If this car had not been painted and had the seat redone, I'd classify it as a survivor.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yep, the lament of the decades-long car collector. "If only I had kept all those parts...." The few that did, whether they kept the car or not, made out like bandits.

5. thebruins

thebruins In Second Gear

Regarding question #3: as Hillbilly stated the smog pump is connected to a vacuum valve, for 1975 to 1977 T-Birds and LTD IIs the part number is D5AZ-9B289-C which you can still find NOS on eBay. The valve is connected to the check valve which is D4VY-9A487-A according to my parts manual, but as stated it might depend on the setup of your engine.

6. handy_andy_cv64

When researching the vacuum diagram for the Windsor donor engine in Babe, I found there were almost a dozen different diagrams, and since I had hot tanked the tinware when the engine was rebuilt, I lost the tag, so I couldn't correspond it to one of the diagrams. I started that because the fan shroud ended up in a car I flipped a couple decades ago, right after I got the Grand Marquis. Foresight is blind, but hindsight is 20/20....

7. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I think he be set now that he has that tag to work with Andy. It is amazing to me that Ford had so many variables depending on altitude level, area smog laws, general temperatures where the vehicles were to be sold, etc. Makes me wonder how Dad pulled strings to order a 1978 Grand Marquis with a 460 Police Interceptor that came without a smog pump, egr, cats, and had a whopper 750 Holley square bore carb. Never say never I guess.

8. handy_andy_cv64

True, true.

9. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

So far, looking decent IMHO.
    Still pulling my hair out trying to find the black cardboard 3/4" tube to go from the air cleaner to the charcoal canister AND the rectangular vinyl duct to go from the end of the snorkel to the radiator support.
    As well as whatever is needed at the radiator support to attache the vinyl duct.
    Any leads would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

10. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

While we are on the subject; which hole in the radiator support does the vinyl duct attach to?
    Anyone have a pic of what I'm searching for??
    Here's a pic I bootlegged off the internet of the inside of the radiator support.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

11. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

There is usually a fresh air duct that runs from the right front fender area, outside the radiator support, and ends behind the battery which is where the flex duct attaches. That duct as mentioned above doesn't penetrate through the radiator support, but is outboard of it.

12. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@72GTVA Do you have a pic of the correct set up?
    It would be helpful to know what I'm looking for.
    Also, "GTVA" Do you have an Alfa Romeo?

13. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

Looks good installed but makes the rest of the engine compartment look a little dingy.
    I'll deal with that when the weather is warmer.

Attached Files:

14. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Here is the Ford Master Parts Catalog illustration:

Air Cleaner Snorkel.jpg

The screen name is loosely interpreted as 72GT (Bluefish) - VA is for Veteran, and conveniently the state I currently live in. No linkage to Alfa Romeo.

15. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@72GTVA That's great!
    Thanks for posting it & thanks for your service!

16. thebruins

thebruins In Second Gear

this is what you're looking for
    air.jpg

some cars at the junkyard still have one but it's my experience that most of the time the plastic is damaged or too brittle. if you're interested in one, let me know, I will keep an eye on it while taking a look at some parts this weekend

17. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@thebruins Thanks for the pic.
    Yes, please, if you run into one please let me know.
    I'll be working on the SMOG system next.
    I have the Charcoal Canister and the SMOG Pump but nothing else.
    So if that catches your eye that would be great.
    PM me for my cell number if you want to call me from wherever it is you find the parts.
    Thanks

18. thebruins

thebruins In Second Gear

have you figured out yet where the air hose goes: near the distributor or on the back of the engine?

351wthermactor.png

19. vespaholic

vespaholic In Third Gear

@thebruins
    I found exactly what you have pictured. It's from a '77 though but it is exactly the same. My concern is that both the pic you provided and the one I found look nothing like what is depicted in the diagram posted by @72GTVA
    Both also look like there is something missing from the end without the vinyl duct.
    Thoughts?

No no progress on the air hose.
    Whomever removed the smog equipment did a great job of buttoning things up as I can find anything that looks like it's been messed with.
    Probably done day 2 of ownership.

20. thebruins

thebruins In Second Gear

To me the picture and the photo kind of look the same. :) What do you think is missing? We're talking about part 9A624, right?

Also, I'm assuming 72GTVA posted a page for a 1975 car, I posted a photo for a 77-79 car.