Plastic fender thingy's

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by stabmasterarson, Aug 4, 2020.

1. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

Does anyone know where I could get these things new? They are plastic mud guard things located inside the front wheel wells in a '72. Screenshot_20200804-175211.jpg

2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

Officially Ford calls them "front fender apron to frame seal" part numbers D2OZ 16240B and D2OZ 16240C. They were used on 72-76 Torino, Montego, 77-79 LTDII, 77-79 TBird and Cougar. On most of the cars in the wrecking yards they will be gone, broken off from running over things or having ice and snow hanging off them in the places where it snows. If you see extras buy them they will sell fast.

3. stabmasterarson

Do you know if they are made of ABS or PVC or something else? If it's ABS I'm thinking I could patch and repair them with abs sheets from a hobby store. With some sanding I think I could make something that looks stock.

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

They actually feel like rubberized material, or at least the ones on Babe do. The clips that hold them, I think, would be the hardest part.

5. 1979 RANCHERO GT

They are abs plastic and are held on with pop rivets with a large flange.

6. handy_andy_cv64

Hmmm, I'm in Washington and Babe is back in Texas, but I'm pretty sure Babe's are not pop riveted.

7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Mine attach with a 1/4" x 1/2" ish sheet metal screw - that is on the '72's...

8. 1979 RANCHERO GT

The part is the same but 8 model years between 72 and 79 and which assembly plant the way the factory fastened them could have changed. Both sides of my 79 are riveted, assembly line mentality; quicker and cheaper.

9. stabmasterarson

FYI mine were secured with 3 - 9/16th self tapper bolts each

10. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Ford parts book shows 77-79 switched to rivets.

11. handy_andy_cv64

Now I'm dying to get home. I have the keys to Babe, so Landyacht wouldn't be able to take a look.

12. 1979 RANCHERO GT

Don't need keys to look at where the wheelhouse doesn't extend low enough to be a mud flap behind the tire.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, I was talking up top in the engine compartment; are we talking about the same part?

14. stabmasterarson

I think we are taking about different parts. The one in the engine compartment is like a rubber splash guard that covers the upper control arm and it's held on by these rubber thumb tack looking things and one in the picture goes inside the front wheel well and attaches at the bottom rear corner and covers the part of the frame. Mine are held on by three 9/16 hex head screws each.

I found an awesome cheap way to replace those splash guards in the engine bay though! I found a local business that makes custom gaskets, "Vancouver gasket" and ordered a 4' x 4' EPDM rubber sheet and traced the old ones and cut it out. It is much softer than the original but it looks good. Also, it has the added benefit of smelling like my great uncles pipe tobacco for some reason.

beerbelly likes this.
  15. handy_andy_cv64

Huh. OK, I'll take a look when I get home.

16. Ran Man

Ran Man In Fourth Gear

Mine too