plastic repair on dash thread?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by cbolt, Mar 3, 2019.

1. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Somewhere on this forum someone posted a bit about how to repair broken plastic parts on a dash which then enabled the poster to drill into the repaired area and attach the small screws which hold various parts to the dash bezel. For the life of me I cannot find that thread. I am looking for the proper product to use to repair broken plastic posts on my 67 dash so I can firmly reattach dash things to other dash things.

If I recall, the product was mixed and placed over the broken areas. It hardened sufficiently and adhered properly to the existing hard plastic material to tap a new screw hole. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am building a new dash harness complete with Deutch 12 pin connector and figure while I have it disassembled I would repair the areas I could prior to reassembly.

Thanks in advance.

andrewok1 likes this.
  2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

I BELIEVE IT WAS 72GTVA - & he used this stuff you can get it ace hardware
    https://www.eastwood.com/pc-7-epoxy...0020&msclkid=98f0404a8db91c4a18951c36bc45bd03

upload_2019-3-3_15-2-32.png

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I don't know about that thread, but since Babe needs repairs to the replacement dash pad in order to screw it down (only three screws hold it right now), I would just use my model-building techniques to make the repairs. When I get to that point, I'll start a thread. I used the same glue that I use on my models, on my turn signal lamp that had the lens break off. It wasn't very well done from the factory (only about 70% contact all around), so I reworked both sides to get more contact, then three coats of Testor's liquid model cement. This glue would work with the styrene-based plastics used in the Ford dashes, and if you can scare up extra flat styrene from a broken dash, that could help for making reinforcing pieces.

4. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Thanks Andy and Handy Andy. I need a quick fix since the car has to be ready to roll in a few weeks. I don't think ill have time to look for broken dash parts. I have a few days from today until I install the rewired dash, probably Wed at the latest. Engine/trans install, interior install, and this stupid dash repair and install is about all that's left. Oh, and I am awaiting a relay to make my courtesy light circuit work and the proper pigtail and connector for my GM distributor.

With rain in the forecast for tomorrow it would be a great time to repair the plastic stuff on the instrument cluster and wire up this dash harness. I do have some Testor's model cement, which would likely work for the plastic repairs I have to make which are just cracks and the like. The plastic that is missing ill likely use the pc-7 stuff to make what I need. Hope it is drillable and adheres to my molded plastic dash parts.

Busy, busy, busy!

andrewok1 likes this.
  5. andrewok1

just make sure you clean the plastic and sand it a bit ,pc-7 stuff will do the trick
    let me know i can run over to give you a hand or even watch

cbolt likes this.
  6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If the Testor's you have looks like water, that's the one I'm talking about, comes in a bottle with a brush. The junkie stuff in the tube's too messy. And, whichever adhesive you use, put the two parts to be joined together, then lay the adhesive on the back side of the parts (in case one side is outwardly visible). It will flow into the cracks and between layers (if you intend to back up the cracks for added strength).

cbolt likes this.
  7. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

cbolt likes this.
  8. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

I found Gorilla Glue, used per the instructions, very useful for plastic repair! Very durable!

cbolt likes this.
  9. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

What I've typically used is two part epoxy used typically to repair hot tubs (available at the corner hardware such as ACE or TAYLOR's DO IT CENTER, etc.) with paint tinting to color the material to match. There are likely better products, but the hot tub epoxy seems to work well for me other than it is white.

Here is the thread:

http://www.ranchero.us/forum/index.php?threads/heater-a-c-plenum-repair.5616/

The techniques shown work on dash panels as well, I've fixed several. On areas that may be subject to impact or vibration I like to use stainless screen door window material overlapped in a blind area to add strength.

cbolt likes this.
  10. andrewok1

72GTVA - i new it was a you that did a fantastic job with two-part epoxy, awesome work, I should have gone to your treasure chest ,
    ANDY

11. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

i had to repair the mounting lugs for my instrument panel. used plastic welding rods from china and a mini hot air gun

HuevosRanchero and cbolt like this.