Power window parts and column shift delete for 70-71

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jeff B, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

My search continues for the right candidate for my 70-71 Ranchero. Looking at a bunch of different trucks I see that power windows are pretty rare. I would like to see if it is possible to retrofit a power regulator to make that happen. Guessing that original parts are either rare/pricey or not worth the trouble due to age.
    Almost every car built today has electric windows so the potential for parts is there. Anyone done a re-fit?
    Also, what do I need to delete a column mounted shifter? Seems that blank collar came on more than Rancheros and Torinos. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. 6delta

6delta In Third Gear

A lot of money for regulators (in unknown condition and power regulators are different than crank ones) without motors, wires or switches. If I had a P&P to roam around, maybe. otherwise add it up for used parts or - http://www.cal-mustang.com/POWER-WINDOW-CONVERSION-KITS-C1297.aspx. Yeah their for a Mustang but I am pretty sure they will work. $150.00+ per door, complete and new. (on edit no wiring or switches, soooo - never mind.) Plus I am still searching.

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

I think the kits are Electric-Life brand at Cal Mustang and their Mustang ones go to 70 but 69 you need to change to the 70 bolt in glass and it does not interchange with Torino. My source for when I do conversions for customers is A1 Electric in So Cal. They don't show any kits available for 68-71 Torino.

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

was just at PnP San Jose south this morning I pulled a set of seats out of a red 944 that had power windows doors were untouched 1/2 price sale this week end now is the time to jump on them. its the first car on Row 54 not even listed on ROW52 yet

6. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I will weigh the benefits between the 944 and aftermarket kits. There are even some kits on Amazon the seem work able. I would have never guessed the Porsche parts would be a choice. So what would I do about making a clean transformation from column shift to a tunnel mount shifter. I don't know how to delete that column shifter so it looks nice and steering lock works as it should.

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

The lock required extra linkage on the trans that only let you remove the key in reverse. Just extra troubles that made it a pain to shift into reverse. Steering still locks with a Mustang cup on the column. Leave the extra junk off and just remember what you did different and use the parking brake.

9. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

i could find right hand but not left so got 2 rh and converted 1 to lh only needed to grind off 2 rivets on quadrant rotate arm 180, turn over quadrant and weld rivets back

10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Over 4 years later we finally get a good response. ;)