Project 2010-Rear End/Suspension

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by HuevosRanchero, Apr 2, 2010.

1. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

yep my buddy did a nice job of it...virtually no clean up.

2. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

Yeah, i thru mine in the fire pit for a bit and they were really clean:)

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

They are beefy enough that they are probably still strong enough after annealing them that way, but keep that in mind if you use that process.

4. HuevosRanchero

Finished up lower arms on rear suspension last night. Took Rock for a drive for the first time in a month and a half...wow...incredible... If you like a soft cushy motion sick ride this is NOT for you. Very taut, very in tune with the road. VERY HAPPY, looking forward to putting the rear sway back on tomorrow...last piece of the puzzle. Will probably put on KYBs during the winter, a no paint project. Pictures forthcoming of last couple of steps..no time now. Took day off to go see Sarah McLachlan in Chastain Park tonight...can hardly wait. Close enough to the stage to smell her perfume...YES!

5. HuevosRanchero

6. HuevosRanchero

[​IMG]

All components installed, keep in mind to put lower arms on you will need to have the entire rear of the car up with two jacks and a third jack or 2x4 to manuever the rear end enough to get the bolts started.

Put the rear sway on today and fixed a fuel leak... ready to roll!

Factory rear sway is 11/16 on mine so I ordered the appropriate sway bar bushings from energy suspension

7. HuevosRanchero

a few more shots with sway bar in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Put these gas adjust,and coils on this weekend HR.Much better then air-shocks.I like em![​IMG]

9. HuevosRanchero

kewl!!..im probably going to upgrade the gabriels but seem to have developed a brake booster problem so thats going to take priority at the moment! ugh!amazing how much the handling improves on these boats with a little work.!

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I had the same set up on mine before I changed to a modern coil over arraingement.
    The spring loaded rear shock along with the anti sway bar make the whole car feel rock solid on the road.

11. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

The spring loaded rear shock along with the anti sway bar make the whole car feel rock solid on the road.[/QUOTE]

I have been doing that for years and it does make all the difference in the world. :D

12. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

Lookin` Good fellas!!!
    That`s all I can add to this technical stuff...
    Nov. will change that though possibly...
    I`m headed to Hillbillys to get a tadd bit of work done to Anns Ranchero...

13. LSChero

Monroe 58568 ST,130.00 ranchero $$,got springs from ribald for cheap.Dropped rear half inch,need to cut half-round from frt 460 springs to level.My brakes doing same lack of perfomance.Every thing new except booster(go figure).Looking into linc hydro-boost set -up.[​IMG]

14. HuevosRanchero

mine is doing something similar to Sarahs...pedal is slow to come back up...rolling resistance high! noticed with booster unplugged I can barely stop the car...so Im gonna replace as a unit. That'll definately finish me for the year I HOPE...

15. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

I feel bad digging up this old thread but I just got my hands on a rear sway bar and most of the brackets to attach it, the only problem I happen to be running into is that the end links were removed using a "fire wrench" and I don't have the brackets that bolt on to the frame for the end links to anchor to. If i could get some pics and measurements from some of you folks that have taken them out it would greatly help me in either finding replacements or just fabricating new brackets and welding bolt ends onto the damaged end links.

16. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

here is a nice shot of the complete set up from my 79's project photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You should be able to get a set out of any 72-79 full frame midsize car. I would even look at the 72-76 big t-birds. hope the photos help. take care Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  17. LSChero

Early models had sway bar anchor point pre-drilled on cross member.Later ones are welded.Maybe fab bracket out of square tube.If ya need dimensions,let me know torkair.[​IMG]

18. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

I need all the dimensions I can get as I'll most likely end up taking some channel iron and cutting it to fit, then welding some triangles on the sides so as to reinforce the bracket. After that I'll most likely reweld the end links with thicker bolt ends and see what I can find out about those cupped washers.