Project: Iron Mullet

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Iron Mullet, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Iron Mullet

Iron Mullet In Third Gear

The Iron Mullet project has been going for well over a month now, so I thought it was about time to start the project thread. At this moment (8/28/10), I am about half way through some cylinder head work to replace a few weak springs. I hope to have the car running again this week, but in the meantime I will get caught up with the details since starting work in the middle of July.

The basic goal is to make the car into a reliable tow vehicle. Function over form, low budget, etc...

Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    First day home. I was on a plane leaving the country within a couple hours of taking this picture. I was anxious to get started by the time I returned!

[​IMG]
    The car had sat for 3 years. It held up well, but that is plenty of time to have negative effects on the car.

[​IMG]
    What's with the name? For those whom may be unfamiliar with the "mullet" hairstyle, it is often described as "business in the front, party in the back". Seems to sum things up nicely...

Cindy likes this.
  2. Fomoco8

Fomoco8 In Maximum Overdrive

Looks like it cleaned up really well...Good Luck with the project and keep us informed.

3. Iron Mullet

Thanks for the interest, Fomoco8.

The first challenge is for the car to run, drive, and stop. I will worry about doing each of those *well* later.

The car was running in a few hours, but would not idle. The entire fuel system needed attention after sitting with old gas. Carburetor rebuild, fuel filters, fuel pump, rubber lines, and a good tank cleaning.

The tank was a project. After draining 5 gallons of varnish, I dropped the tank and removed the pickup tube/fuel sender combo thingy. The sender was dirty but ok. The filter on the end of the pickup tube disintegrated! Unfortunately, a replacement is $100 from Dearborn, so I opted for an external filter in the short term.

Put it all back together and it ran pretty good. A little concerned about the sound of the engine as observed from the exhaust pipe. It sounds strong except there is an occasional "whiff" sound between exhaust strokes. I am a Ford V8 newbie, so I'm not sure what is normal here.

[​IMG]
    Mowing is a good excuse to crank it up and drive around the yard

Runs - check
    Drives - check
    Stops - err.. uhh.... could do that a little better....

After running there is a hissing noise from the brake booster. Uh-oh.

It looked like the master cylinder leaked a bit and ate up the booster diaphragm or seals whatever it is that doesn't like brake fluid. I had a real time removing the old booster because the cruise control servo bracket was in the way. The bracket is riveted to the firewall, so I had to pry it up slightly. The replacement has a smaller diameter and a little deeper, so it fit better after renegotiating the master cylinder brake lines. There is a recent discussion about this topic here.

[​IMG]
    old booster

[​IMG]
    new booster

I learned the lesson about shoddy goods for the umpteenth time with a cheap master cylinder replacement. Did a lot of brake bleeding before determining the new master cylinder seals were toast. The tip off was fluid level rising in the reservoir when the pedal was pushed. A decent replacement solved the problem.

4. 75 Squire

75 Squire In Maximum Overdrive

That is most definitely not a factory style booster. Where did you get it?

5. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Nice car cool project. Keep the photos and the progress coming!

6. Iron Mullet

Thanks, Dan.

Squire- the booster is a Cardone 54-73307, ordered through Autozone.

[​IMG]

All of the mounts lined up correctly, and the plunger did not require adjustment.

7. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Looks like the ones used on the 72 modles.

8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The only problem with the fat booster is that if you use head studs you can't take the head off without removing the booster.

9. Iron Mullet

Mine has bolts. What is the advantage of studs? I can imagine it would at least make it easier to align the head during reassembly. Anything else?

10. Iron Mullet

I came across this thing and had no clue what it was, just like the FLAPS guys:

[​IMG]

Finally figured out (with help from this site) that it is a broken EGR-PVS; a Ported Vacuum Switch. I am working on finding a custom EGR-PVS delete assembly, also known as a 3/8" pipe plug.

Work continued on the brakes by taking a peek at each wheel to see the condition of each. Things looked pretty good. Cleaned up each one and reassembled.

[​IMG]

The front rotors needed to be turned due to rust, but the financial department is made up of top notch mechanics whom all recommended sanding.

[​IMG]

I did a silly thing while cleaning the bearings, which in this case means I am lucky to still have eye sight. I (had) a habit of putting the cleaned and wet bearing on my finger and spinning it with compressed air to dry. This time it started making a cool oscillator sweep noise, so I tried to make it go faster. About the time the whine got to around 5kHz (meaning 5000RPM), the bearing let go and 17 rollers shot across the garage like bullets! Made a trip to the parts counter for a set of front bearings and vowed never to do that again.

[​IMG]
    I made this out of an old 'L' bolt to knock out the front bearing race.

so I just learned about the 4 picture limit for posting... to be continued ... I'll catch on eventually...

This is the view my neighbors love so much...

[​IMG]

The rear brakes didn't need anything. I just giggled and put the drum back on each side.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2010
  11. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Cool Be extra carefull with jack stands on dirt or grass....

12. Iron Mullet

Good point. I usually put a board under the jack stand (see 2nd jack stand to the right), but it looks like I was slacking a bit that time.

I'll admit I'm a little afraid of the size and weight of this thing. I usually double up jack stands when lifting one side.

On a side note, thanks for putting the 2 posts together for me!

13. 5.0 Chero

I would have to dig them up but I have a set of Stands I welded to donut spares for working on grass or gravel lots..
    Have seen the stands cut through the wood.

14. Iron Mullet

That's a great idea. I will take a look at my scrap steel to see what I can put together. Something portable would be nice so it could be available roadside.

15. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

Ill try to get a pic of the cruise unit I just took off. The bracket mount looks like rivit heads but if you pull the drainage cover off the cowl on that side you might find a backing plate and three rusty nuts to pull off!:p

16. Iron Mullet

That's pretty funny. (insert Homer Simpson "Doh!" here)

I'll have a look...

17. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

YIKES!!! That bearing came apart!!!

Yeah, I`m glad you weren`t hurt when them "Bullets" went flying!!!
    I use a piece of 1/4" sheet steel under the stands and jack on my NONconcrete floor in the pole barn...Much better than wood, it won`t break...
    It looks like things are going your way on this project...
    I`ll get started on Anns `79 the first week in November, we`ve got Bob Hardies (ex)project at Hillbillys` place...
    I hope things keep looking up fer yas...

Welcome to RancheroUSA

18. Iron Mullet

Thanks, As Is 66. The project has had its challenges (more updates coming), but all in all it has been good fun.

Look what I found!
    [​IMG]

Good to know these are back there. Thanks, HuevosRanchero! (the first time I had the breakfast that is your usernamesake was in Zacatecas, Mexico. Lit my pants on fire but it was great!)

I have 3 of these C-channel plate things laying around that look like they have a new purpose in life:
    [​IMG]

Time to get outside and do what this thread is about!

19. Iron Mullet

The following update covers progress during the last week of July, 2010.

The spring was hanging off the back of the accelerator pedal, allowing the pedal to flop around a bit.

I removed the pedal to check it out:
    [​IMG]

The spring appears broken on the curved end:
    [​IMG]

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, are they available?

The next project was to fix an issue with the hard fuel line. A mounting clip had come loose on the front cross member and the steering linkage was pushing against it on hard right turns. It was partially damaged, so I opted to replace the last couple feet of the hard line with a compression coupler and metal brake line. It took me a couple evenings to source the parts and do all the bending, but the result is much safer than before.
    [​IMG]
    You may notice my trusty assistant supervising the progress.

I wanted to take a road test, but needed to go ahead and register and insure the car. I had been holding off on this process just in case I decided to sell. I knew by now I would be keeping the car, and made a trip to the Tag agency.

When purchasing the car, the seller and I did what I've always done and signed the back of the title. I did not notice the bill of sale section on the front of the title; and the tag agency would not register the car. They stamped the title as "open" and told me to get the previous owner to sign it on the front with the same information we had already put on the back!

Not a good day.

The previous owner only sold the car because he had to move. I was very fortunate to have his contact info, and more importantly, he was cool enough to answer my call and arrange a time to meet me for a resigning of the title. Not too many people in the world today that would do that!

After a couple tense weeks, I was able to return to the tag agency and successfully register and tag the car. I went home, called my insurance company, and went for a test drive.

A good day.

I also had an opportunity to use the car for what it was intended; here is an old TV cabinet on its way to Goodwill:

[​IMG]
    Also in the picture is the newly sourced passenger side signal lens, and the car trailer I hope to eventually tow with the Ranchero.

Cindy likes this.
  20. 5.0 Chero

COOL!!!!!!!!! Its on the road

Yes spring is broken, Have not seen new replacements but it should not be to hard to find a used pedal