Question on PCV system

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by parts4me, Aug 25, 2013.

1. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

So my ranchero has a PCV system on it and I wondered on the passenger side there is a tube that comes from the valve cover into the air filter housing unit. Can that be removed and have a filter put in the whole in the valve cover or does that tube need to be present to the system.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yes and no.. Do you have to pass emissions testing? the Tube dose 2 things it allows filtered air to be drawn into the motor for the PCV and it vents the excessive blow by into the combustion chamber to be re burnt

So yes you can eliminate it with a breather cap but it is not smog legal

3. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

Passenger side? Your PCV system maybe different but that is where my PCV is located and the hose to the air cleaner is from the filler cap on the drivers side. Regardless 5.0 is correct about the hose that connects to the air cleaner.

4. Mike

Mike In Overdrive

On mine, there's a hose between the passenger side rear and the passenger side of the air cleaner where inside there is a sponge filter and another hose between the drivers side front PVC/oil filler cap and the rear bottom of the carburetor. I don't know if it's correct, but that's how it's been hooked up since I've own the vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  5. paparoscoe

paparoscoe In Overdrive

learn something new every day.

6. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Alright, and no I do not have to pass emission testing. Thanks guys. I just didn't know if that hose completed the system and kept it in a vacuum or something.