Quick question

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 74Rancherito, Sep 2, 2012.

1. 74Rancherito

74Rancherito In Fourth Gear

My motor runs like a friggin' freight train but I get a whine from the PS pump.
    What can I do to quiet this thing?
    Tried different fluids and it just keeps barking.
    I'd change it(again) but I don't recall it ever being this loud.
    Adam

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  2. ramair428cjxr7

ramair428cjxr7 In Overdrive

p.s pump

sometimes u can turn it all the way and hold each way back and forth trapped air

3. 74Rancherito

Did that.
    Bled it well.
    Still whines like a sumbitch.

4. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Is it a Ford pump? They are just noisy, sometimes you can find one that is quite but not very often. Google noisy ford power steering pump and you will see how many folks have problems with them.
    I have heard of a few folks that luck out with a quite one. The ones GM and I think Chrysler uses are saginaw and those are nice and quite. Ford did use the saginaw on a few cars mostly ones with hydroboost.

5. 74Rancherito

Stock ford pump X2.

6. Lord Snow

Lord Snow In Fourth Gear

I have a fresh remanned power steering pump and mine still whines a bit. Just something about fords. Now if it seems to be getting louder or if you have any other problems besides noise, then worry about it.

7. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

I used some K&W Products Trans-X automatic transmission treatment in my backup junkyard Ford Thompson pump. Much to my surprise, it did help quiet the whine.

8. ramair428cjxr7

ramair428cjxr7 In Overdrive

ps pump

is it plastic bodied or metal find a older one late 60s early 70s ive never had a noisy older metal bodied one

9. bscottie

bscottie In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

there is a fluid mix that worked on my buddies, check auto part store, it is a "reconditionning" mix

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Do you have the original engine in the car?
    An undersized crank pulley can make a steering pump howl at low RPMs.

11. 74Rancherito

same engine/pulley, just rebuilt.
    did a search on ps noise, and yes it's a problem...

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I found out that it's how you bleed the pump that makes or breaks the noise problem. Those pumps are finicky sob's about getting any air in them. Most of us start the engine and try to keep up with the fluid level while the system purges itself. WRONG ! OK, those pumps are kinda' noisy even at best but if you only spin the pump at the speed the starter turns the engine you don't run the pump dry and get that nasty whine. Jack the car up in front and set it on stands with the front wheels off the ground. DISABLE the IGNITION so the engine doesn't fire up when you crank the starter. Now fill the pump reservoir and crank it just enough to make the fluid level go down. Repeat filling the reservoir and cranking untill the fluid level stay's full. NOW you can start turning the steering from side to side and filling the reservoir as needed.
    When the fluid level goes down stop cranking and add more fluid. Remember to give the starter some time to cool off once in a while while using this method. You should be happy with the results from bleeding your steering with this method. IF your pump is already whining this method isn't going to help you as the mating surfaces inside your pump are already damaged.
    Try doing it this way, it's worth the extra effort to not have to hear that damn whine.

13. 74Rancherito

Thank you sir.

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

No "Sir" here Bro. I had one of those Lamont getting educated by Fred Sanford moments years ago when an old ( and I do mean old in his 80's ) Ford mechanic heard me pull in his lot with that nasty growl from my steering.
    He talked me into buying a rebuilt pump and letting him install it. I was afraid I'd be there all day but he had it done in less than two hours. When he finished he gave me that look old timers have patented then asked me if I paid attention to how he did things. The lesson stuck in my pea brain, just passin' it on.

15. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

always pays, to pay attention to the old farts,,,,, theve forgeten more than we,ll ever know...

16. 74Rancherito

Special thanks to Hillbilly...
    Followed his instructions to the letter......
    Its 100% better!!!!
    Thank you sir..:D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2012