Quonset hut re-roof

Discussion in 'Non-Automotive Stuff' started by john777, Jan 7, 2020.

1. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I'm buying a property with a 1940-1950 quonset hut in disrepair. Its about 50x20 and will need a new roof (galvanized sheet metal) Does anyone know where to buy pre-rounded sheet metal for an OLD quonset hut? I see plenty of material for new quonset huts, I need old school rounded sheet metal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut

2. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Or how to bend the standard corrugated metal sheets?

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I was wondering that myself. It would warp to hell, I'd imagine.

4. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

John, where are you located?

5. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Sonoma CA. I found a guy who has 3 of them in Pahrump NV, he been great assistance. I think I will just re-used the old sheet metal, it has a nice old rusty patina

6. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

I can tell you that the rusty metal will make the building much hotter, than a newer galvalume roof. I just re-roofed my 24x44 warehouse with galvalume sheets and although I haven't been through a summer day yet, it is definitely cooler inside the building when in full sun as compared to the rusty 5V crimp metal roofing that it replaced. The way they laid out those roofs it would be relatively easy for most metal roofing to be installed horizontally. Good luck

7. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I know there is a steel supplier near me that has a few Quonset Huts outside. I could ask them if they could supply you everything, but Ca is a long way from NM

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

This might give you some ideas..

FordR500GT likes this.
  9. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Any possibility that a RV type of roofing "paint" for a lack of a better word.
    It is something like a rubberized coating with a silver color

10. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Looks like they used straight lengths and just bent them to suit as they were fitting them. We have a plumbers supply place here ( no use to you ) that supplies corrugated steel like that in whatever length you want - it comes off a coil and runs through a former that shapes it and can also roll a curve into it if the customer wants. Anything like that in your area?
    Denis.

11. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Yes, I found the seabee manuals from 1951. These huts were made with the steel going horizontally and the top portion going vertically. I'm 90% done with the demo. Everything is stacked next to the site. Going to put in a slab next...

12. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I saw this. This is not an original military hut. The roof on this one has a inverted V, quonsets were semi-circular. Also they have no steel interior ribs, theirs was all wood. They ran the steel the same way as mine. (incorrectly)

13. john777

john777 In Overdrive

That would be nice to have some 50 footers!

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

50' is doable in my area. Local steel company has some huge trailers equipped with a roller system that let's them drop your order on your job site with no damage. Someone reasonably close to you should have the same ability.

15. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

Seems to me that reskinning it would be expensive.
    That video I believe they had $10,000 but it seemed to be a good size.
    Problem with them is you loose alot of space at the sides.
    I know it would cost more money but I would think it would be worth it to just knock it down and build a Pole Barn garage on the site as you can build a better size and the side walls will be vertical and flat which conserves on wasted space when you want to put cabinets,tool boxes or benches against the side walls.

Some people like them but I really feel the present alot of unusable space and I know if I had to go that far I would just tear it down and start with a new structure.

Good Luck in whatever you do.
    Photos of your structure would be nice to see

16. john777

john777 In Overdrive

Yes, but seeing that I'm a retired Marine and lived in one during OCS for 6 weeks, there is some attachment to this structure. We finished dismantling it today. Its had 4 foot pony walls so it does have some vertical height to it. I could make it 6 feet, but then it becomes more difficult to put it back together with my Navy buddy. We are preparing for the pouring of the slab. I will re-use the steel rib structure and buy new sheet metal for the sides. I anticipate the sheet metal with cost about 2500$. (i'm using the old patina sheet metal as part of fence along the road, its going to be pretty coll looking... 3 sheets high, 6'.

17. john777

john777 In Overdrive

I'm also thinking about installing a car lift inside. Does anyone have any ideas for that? Best and cheapest set ups? Anything that I could install when pouring the slab?

18. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

There are a lot of used lifts around . Check with lift installers in the area and ask.
    when pouring a slab consult with the same installers and get their opinion if you need piers below or just extra thick pour in the area of where the columns will sit.
    I bought a 7k lb. Mohawk 2 post asymmetrical lift for $1200 and had it installed for $400 one of the better purchases I made.
    Some lifts have the hyd. lines run along or under the floor but mine run over the top. With your set up over head is not a problem.
    I don't intend to put any thing heavier that my 2011 F150 on it so it is ideal for me.
    If you are going to put something heavier on it like a 3/4 ton or heavier go bigger.
    Also check Craig's list for used lifts.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020