R.I.P Gregg Allman

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by beerbelly, May 27, 2017.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Foo Fighters are worth looking into.

2. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

An excellent band, now name another 9 that have appeared since the 1980's . Compare that with literally dozens that appeared in the 70's and 80's

3. ribald1

You asked for 'any', I could do that, 9, I don't think so.
    The 80's were a bad time for Rock with bands adding a lot of crossover with things like elements of Rap and Hip Hop into songs.
    Really diluted the brand.

4. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not really fair. I bet your parents thought everything you listened to was garbage. Like my Dad, they probably thought everything since Elvis and Motown is trash. Except country, for some reason. He's gotten into that lately. Go figure.

Define 'excellent'. To me it's more than one album that contain at least 5 awesome songs each. There are some 'excellent' bands that can't say they've done that. Immediately coming up with 9 since the 80's is tough. With the exception of AC/DC (which in reality is a 70's band) and a few Def Leppard songs, meh, the 80's sucked. Aerosmith had a good 80's, but they are also 70's. Metallica, RHCP, Green Day, they started in the 80's, and I'd consider them excellent. Starting with 1990, here's some good stuff.....

Audioslave. Velvet Revolver. Stone Temple Pilots. Zac Brown. Pearl Jam. Nirvana, 3 Doors Down, and for a bit Creed. A few my kid listens to are really good (the few that aren't rap or lip-syncing azzhats), and if I were 18 I'd be listening to them more...Imagine Dragons is one.

Basstrix and toyroom like this.
  5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

And let's not forget Hootie and the Blowfish.

TestDummy likes this.
  6. toyroom

toyroom In Third Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Here are a few bands that came out in the 90's that would fit into the category, mind you some are a stretch...

Rage Against the Machine
    White Stripes
    System of the Down
    Korn
    Weezer
    Cake
    Bush
    Nickleback

Basstrix and TestDummy like this.
  7. ribald1

Nickleback :eek::confused:o_O

toyroom likes this.
  8. TestDummy

All had great songs, true. What about Matchbox 20, or Fastball? They each had a couple good songs. Wouldn't say either were excellent though. Pretty darn good? This song here is excellent though.

toyroom likes this.
  9. toyroom

I know I thought I might get sht for that one... but in my defense I did say "some are a stretch," plus I did put them in order... IMHO
    Still very tough to come up with 9

TestDummy likes this.
  10. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

11. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Ozzy Osbourne's solo career began in the 80's...one of the all time greatest in my book. Iron Maiden started in the mid-late 70's but they really got traction in the 80's, Judas Priest is a similar story to Maiden as far as timing goes and another great band. Rush...another of my all time faves...but they span back into the 70's. Megadeth was/is a great band, The Cult (if you haven't liistened, they sound like southern fried rock but they're from the UK). Van Halen, of course, but another with roots in the 70's. ...not to mention the bands TestDummy and toyroom listed.

I grew up in a fairly small town....for the longest time there was a soft rock station, a pop rock-ish station, and a couple of country stations. About 100 miles away, was a larger city...with a "good" rock station....but it barely came in. Finding good music was a bit of a chore up until MTV came along.

12. TestDummy

Blink 182?

13. ForistellFord

The Nashville Predators?????

14. TestDummy

1988 is close enough to the 90's for this to count. It's the anthem of many a Ranchero owner.

15. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

"shrugs"....its all a matter of what floats your boat. I've found music from every decade and genre that i will listen too...but it's cherry picked stuff for sure. What niggles my scratchbag is when young (under 30) peeps don't know how to dance to anything that doesnt have a super heavy droning rattling backbeat...like deer in the headlights when we play a belly rubbing song......

16. TestDummy

To be fair, I'd be a deer in the headlights with a belly rubbing song too.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  17. ForistellFord

I would just lift up my shirt and wait for the rubbin' to commence.

HuevosRanchero and TestDummy like this.
  18. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

What up with the Predators reference John ? You got plenty time to sleep after the playoffs are over.

19. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Well that got a healthy response. Lol....i still rest my case, i mean really good bands, that have had many,many good songs, not just one or two. Like AC/DC for example. The fact that some of these mentioned were a stretch, proves my point. You wouldnt have to scrape the barrel if we had been talking about earlier bands.

And you all missed AIC, technically 80's but they didnt get stuff out till 1990, and even though a great band, they are still nowhere near some of the greats. Foo Fighters comes the closest out off all mentioned.

20. toyroom

^^^Exactly!!!^^^

Also one that I forgot (which may not be as great as AIC but a true 90's band) is Tool, which BTW we're taking our son to see at the Golden One Center. They also have really cool/arty videos.
    As for a newer musician... anyone like Brian Carroll, AKA Buckethead, corny name but the dude shreds.