Rally-Pac in a Ranchero?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by beerbelly, Sep 12, 2019.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed a Mustang Rally-Pac gauge set on a '64-'65 Ranchero steering column? I've heard that the Mustang column is longer from the dash outward vs. the Ranchero, so it may not fit.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As I recall, as my bro Tim had three Mustangs, and the two '60s ones ('65 and '67) had Rally-Pacs, but extra column showed behind the units. So one may just fit without interference.

3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

An alternative is to get single pods that mount on the steering column, and use multiple pods held on by a single band. I did this on my truck, and added a small tach and small vacuum gauge. I'd have to measure, but it probably only took 4" or so of the steering column. I've thought about moving them over to my Ranchero. I'd have to figure out where to add in a source for manifold vacuum, but I want to do that anyway, since that's how I always tuned the truck, and I haven't tuned my Ranchero that way yet.

Joseph

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Both my 66 Mustangs have the 65 style Rally-Pac. The 66 style has the center piece removed so it will fit around the speedometer bezel. Looks to me like there should be plenty of room on the Falcon column to fit. Measure from the signal housing base to the dash and I'll measure one of the Mustangs and see what the distances are. If you are buying a used unit, 6cyl and V8 the tachs are different.