Ranchero and torino

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Bruce Myers, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Bruce Myers

Bruce Myers In First Gear

When I look for a 1971 ranchero parts I get a ton of 71 Torino returns, are they that similar?
    thanks

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Same car until you hit the bed and back. Wheel base is different, but otherwise engines, transmission, differential, hood, fenders, dashes, trim, floor pan are the same until you reach the cubby for pretty much all two door models. Bed parts, quarters, rear bumper, and tail lights are different - that is pretty much it.

3. Bruce Myers

Bruce Myers In First Gear

Thanks, I'm looking for the shaker hoodseal and drain for the 71 Ranchero 429 cobra jet Gt, j code. I have sent a message to form ramjet. Thanks

4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

Ranchero's and Torino Wagons are all but the same, beyond the two additional doors!

5. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I believe door window glass is also different between them.

6. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Also '70 and '71 share a lot of the same parts.

7. super green dog

super green dog In Second Gear

I didn't know the wheel base's are different... never got that far when swapping parts... But, so far, no issues w the engine & most of the interior...
    Pony - Is that unique to 70 & 71? How about - for 68 & 69?
    (are the Rancheros and Wagons the same?)

8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Rancheros and Country Sedan/Custom Station Wagons are the same wheel base. The only thing that really differs because of the wheel base difference is the drive line length. '68 / '69 are also different per my books.

9. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

My understanding is that you will get more parts off of a Torino wagon, then a Torino sedan. Particularly when dealing with suspension, and wiring behind the cab. Most of the parts, behind the cab, I have searched for during my rebuild came off of wagons... for the cab forward, as mentioned above doors and door glass and other body parts off a Torino sedan will work. Besides body parts and Doors, most of the other parts off Fairlane/Torino/Mustang/Cougar, and sometimes Thunderbird, will cross reference... I am most familiar with 68/69. I have the digital disk from Detroit Iron Information systems, which gives me the parts list 65-72, as well as the assembly diagrams, so don't be afraid to ask.

A quick look at some of the parts lists... 68 & 69 are listed together most of the time. As are 70/71! But depending on the system, rear brakes for example, they list 66-69 for most Ford Cars in the same group.