Ranchero camping

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by beerbelly, Sep 7, 2017.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I've been working on a removable kayak rack for the Ranchero, so my wife & I can go camping & fishing. Took it for a test run up at Trillium Lake by Mt. Hood, and it worked great. Slow fishing, but I got 3 rainbows, enough for dinner one night.

Lots of smoke up there from the Eagle Creek wild fire in the Columbia River Gorge, so much so that Mt. Hood was not visible today when we left camp.

IMG_7804.JPG IMG_7810.JPG

HuevosRanchero, Cindy and Kiwirancher like this.
  2. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Third Gear

Nice job - stainless steel ? I used to have 2 sea kayaks and built a rack for the car I had at the time to carry them both. Used the towbar to mount the rear rack . Worked well.

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Not stainless, but aluminum & steel. The cab mount is some gutter mount towers I got on Craigslist, and I made the crossbar from aluminum. The bed rack my buddy with a welder made in steel from plans I drew up. The kayak cradles came from somewhere online, but I upgraded all the bolts & nuts to USA stuff with nylock nuts. Some ratchet straps from Harbor Freight, and Bob's your uncle.

My next plan is to figure out a keel roller for the bed mount so there's not to much force on it when I push the kayak on.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  4. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Nice work. Your truck is looking good. Had to be the coolest rig in the campground.

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

A grilled fresh trout is hard to beat.
    When the fishing is slow, tie the line to your toe and take a nap

6. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I don't fish, but that made me smile.

7. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Some of my best fishing trips have been with a baitless hook lol. No nap interruptions

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hey, I didn't know you were in Portlandia. Next time I take a trip down Strange Side, I'll keep an eye open for your Chero.

9. Lulu2

Lulu2 In Third Gear

That's awesome!

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

What part of Portland do you live? I was a wee toddler clogging the toilet with my diaper in Tigard, back in Feb '68-Mar '69 while Dad was in Vietnam.

I also model the fallen flag Spokane, Portland & Seattle Ry., so I'm also interested in Portland for that reason.