Ranchero/Montego update of Dan the Ranchero Man

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by sarah, Jan 19, 2008.

1. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

Ok folks here we go. I have some photos of the progress and peices I have collected for my 73 ranchero/montego upgrade/resto project. I have photos of the GT hood, front clip (all clean up and ready for install), frame, frame/gearbox (detail photo), front fenders (showing cutouts for the cornering lights from 79), Rear axle (getting cleaned up) and last a shot of the body sitting up on horses. As I move along I hope to get more out. Take care Dan the ranchero man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry Dan I couldn't seem to be able to pull up your original post.

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Lookin' Great!!!

Which areas of the frame did you have the body mount areas repaired? Just curious...

4. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Both up in front (radiator support), in the photo with the gear box the outside mounting hole (same one on the opposite side) and the two holes at the back of the frame.

5. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

I could surely get used to that workspace, looking good Dan.

6. Dan the ranchero man

When I looked into that house that was the first thing I asked the county (can I build an out building?) They said on that lot as long as you keep it to a max size of 40x40 you would be fine. My building is 30x36 (wife boss set that limit). It works quite well and I still have the 74 and my lawn tractor in there too!

7. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

My garage is 28x30, plenty of room just need to organize and toss some "might just need that someday" stuff laying around.

8. ray55classic

ray55classic In Third Gear

she's looking good dan, and i'd like to have a garage like yours too. i've got enough room to build one, but suffer the common malady of needing more $$. a few things i wanted to ask; are you clearcoating the steering box ,etc, or is that a silver paint ? and are you going to use the urethane body mounts? if so are they the ones that used to be listed in the old forum? and where did you order them from? thanks and keep up the good work!!!........ray:cool::cool::cool:

9. Dan the ranchero man

The gearbox is painted with a iron cast color paint from eastwood. No I will not be using any clear on the gearbox or any of the other cast painted part I will have on the chassis. My buddy Tony has been helping me with the detail work. I asked him about clear on these parts and his answer was not to clear because from the factory these parts left with no shine. You are trying to go for a stock look except that with the paint you will not get the rust. as for the body mounts I believ I will be getting the poly ones I used on the 74 ranchero. I have to look up the part #s(I have an entire folder of that kind of stuff) I will post them when I dig them up.

10. boss351

boss351 In Third Gear

Boy.......Does that bring back memory"s
    I am so glad mine is all back together.
    :cool:

11. rancheronut

rancheronut In Fourth Gear

12. ClskMstg

ClskMstg In Fourth Gear

Nice work!

13. ken the dane

ken the dane Guest

Me too...

Long way to go Dan

14. McFord

McFord In Second Gear

Dan,
    thats really looking good. cant wait to see it all together!
    Mike

15. Dan the ranchero man

Ken, Mike I do have a long way to go But I am really lucky that I have my Buddy Tony helping me out with this one. When I did the 74 ranchero I was totally on my own and that car took six years to get it were we all see it now. I am shooting for two with this one. I have a pretty good size ranchero $$$ account with this one too. That should also help things move along. I think that my problem will be when it is time to do the paint and body work. That is the one part of auto restoration that I don't really care to do myself and one of the most exspensive. To add to the price I will be adding custom striping (more ranchero $$$). I have the axle housing painted and I am hoping to get that all put together real soon. When it is done i will try and get some photos up.

16. Dan the ranchero man

Ran into a snag here today. Had the entire rear end all finished and painted up (even with stock factory marks). I filled it up with gear oil and then I put some teflon tape on the plug (4 wraps) and proceeded to install the plug and then it happened......... The pumpkin housing cracked/split where the plug inserts. needless to say I am a bit upset this happening. Most of you know what this means the whole thing has to come apart! I do have another pumpkin (it is still mounted to an axle outside). So I guess I get to start all over again (maybe better luck second try). I have never had to put a 9 inch carrier together is it easy or should I pay some one to do this?

17. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

That really sucks! But on the bright side you have a warm dry covered place to to do the work.

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Is it Posi, Locker or Standard??? The shop manuals are pretty detailed and it isn't too bad a job until you get to setting the crush washer for pinion preload. Then I hope you have some way to hold the yoke while setting the gazillion foot pounds of torque to set it correctly. The Ford Mechanics have a 36 inch 'Y' bar where the ends of the 'Y' are drilled to permit attachment to the yoke, then they hold the 'Y' bar while setting the crush washer to specification. I think you can do that with the pumpkin out of the car and the yoke held in a vice with oak or hardwood blocks (to prevent marring or galling the yoke surfaces) and set the torque. Assumes you have a bench mounted vice that isn't going anywhere when you set the preload to around 150 foot pounds or so... do you need the torque spec again???

19. Dan the ranchero man

Rear housing pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  20. Dan the ranchero man

so here are the photos of the rear end as it looks now. My camera could not focus on the crack I was talking about. But at least you can see the "almost finished need to be done again" rear end. 72GTVA I have all the tourqe specs. Thanks. I will start taking the thing apart tonight or tomarrow (sigh) and then I will drag the other rear end in the barn out of the snow and see what I have to deal with (sigh again). Trikar you are right I am lucky to have a warm place to work, But it still hurts (now that you can see the pictures) to have to rip that apart to redo it all over again.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008