Ranchero/Montego update of Dan the Ranchero Man

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by sarah, Jan 19, 2008.

1. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Dan piece of cake if you have a dial indicator. I will talk you through it. You do not need to reset up gears.

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

thanks! I don't own a dial indicator, But I am sure I can locate one if I need one. I will let you know when I get to that point. Pulling this thing back apart is not going very well either. Both of the axle shaft seals ( the rubber around the outside) are damaged and need to be replaced (that means new bearings too because you can't just do the seal). Two of the studs that hold in the axle are stripped to the point that the threads are gone. (have know clue what happened there they went on with no trouble and when I took them off they fought me all the way) I am about ready to scrap this entire axle set up and rebuild the one sitting in the snow outside! (I need to cool off)

3. 5.0 Chero

Hey Dan go into the house and take a break.........

4. 5.0 Chero

Ok what happened to the seals? as far a the "studs" go no biggie you will have 8 more when you remove the axles from the donor rear,by the way they are really t bolts not studs so the are easy to change. Do you still have my number?

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Uh,

Uh, hate to write this but... I don't see any pics. Gotta have pics.

What gear are you putting in it?

6. Dan the ranchero man

yes Carl I do have your number still. As for the seals I can't believe what happened to those! When I pulled the axel shafts back out the rubber stayed in between the bearing race and the housing and totally ripped off of the seal. You are right about the studs (as I called them) Yes they are removeable (I cleaned them up so I know this) and thanks for reminding me that the donor has eight more I did forget that for the moment.

7. Dan the ranchero man

72 GTVA if you go back to page two of this thread you can see the axle before I ripped it back apart.(it was very pretty) As far as the crack goes my camera can't focus on that other wise I would have posted the photo with the others.

8. 5.0 Chero

He will not have to reset the preload..but preload on the pinion will only be about 6 to 8 inch lbs,,,,,,,,,,but it can take 150 to 175 ft lbs of toque on the pinion nut to crush a new crush sleeve to get the 6 to 8 inch lbs of bearing preload.;)

9. 72GTVA

Pardon me!

I saw the ones of the axle cleaned and empty, but I was referring to posts #19 and #20 - I'll presume it is my computer and I'm out. Sorry for the interruption, we return you to your thread.

10. Dan the ranchero man

72 GTVA the gear is a 2.47 in both the of the rear ends (donor and the one I was working on). they are also both standard type (non locking)

11. 5.0 Chero

Dan maybe wet paint stuck the seals. On the pumpkin are you using the copper gaskets on the studs and the self locking nuts?

12. Dan the ranchero man

yes, I am using the copper washers and ny lock locking nuts on the pumpkin. My buddy used some sort of RTV on the gasket and I can't get the damn pumpkin loose from the housing! That I will work on tomarrow when I am rested.

13. Dan the ranchero man

I used anti seze on the outside of the seals before I installed into the housing. I guess it was just time for those 29 year old seals to throw in the towel!

14. 5.0 Chero

Sounds like a good time for a break...........

15. 5.0 Chero

ok I thought they were new.. but Dan with the nice detail job you are doing you should have replace them anyway.....a lot better to do it now then when the axle is back in and full of oil.

16. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

Sorry to hear of your setback Dan, but maybe there was some fatige there to begin with,and those seals would have failed also, sooner than later. As far as them ripping they could have been dry from sitting, heat ,age & a reaction to the anti- seize IMO. When you put the new ones in just give the a lite coating of gear lube and use the anti seize on the axle bolts. By chance you need another rear end if your spare gives you problems, Give me a call. I have 2.73's in my LTDII parts car I can hook you up.

17. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

Did you powdercoat the housing or POR -15 IT? That added to the dilema with the threads. Run a tap & use a dye on your threads next time. It will give you even accurrate torque. My .02 again.

18. Dan the ranchero man

The black part of the housing was sandblasted the primered and painted with engine paint. I tried to reuse the old seals because to remove the old ones and install new ones is $75 per side (I don't have the tools for that job). But I guess that would have been a small price to pay to avoid all the aggrivation! The pumpkin would have still cracked but I guess better now than on the road somewhere. thanks brian for the offer on the rear end! If I need one I will call you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  19. 72GTVA

$75.00 Rancherobuck$$$ for axle seals???

$75.00 Rancherobuck$$$ for axle seals??? Remind me not to use your sources. Nevermind... I'm staying out of this thread.

20. 5.0 Chero

Why are you staying out now? :confused::rolleyes: I think he is talking about bearings seals and machine shop labor the do the pressing on and off.