Ranchero/Montego update

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Dan the ranchero man, May 28, 2008.

1. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Best of luck in getting this rectified Dan. It makes me sick and it ain't even mine. I think thae Chero/Montego is one of the most beautiful cars I ever seen.

2. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

Dan, i dont know what to say. I know how much work and money you put into this project and it makes my stomack quiver. On the up side, if there is anyone who can make this correct, it's you.:D

3. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

wow, that really sux, just glad its home in 1 piece :(

4. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

I know people in low places...... just sayin' ;) sorry babe... but she's home and you'll get her back into shape... offer stands. :rolleyes:

5. billg72469

billg72469 In Fourth Gear

So Dan I am assuming all of the damage was done at the bodyshop? Totaly his responsibility. Another shop we compete with used to piss off customer's so bad more than once the place got shotup, don't recomend that though, but I am sure the guy deserve's it.

6. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

Sorry to see what they did to your baby. What kind of business would do that to a customer? They should be shut down. I hope you have some recourse and they will have to pay!!!!

7. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Upate on clean up

Well guys and girls here is an update. first the axle and the underside seem to be cleaning up Ok. but this guy is color blind the color match to the underside of the rockers is horrible. Infact the paint in the touch up bottle is the dark color you see bottom of the rockers. That is the CORRECT color. The stuff that the rest of the car is painted with is the wrong shade! I have a pint of the correct color and it too matches the bottom of the rockers. So now what color do I have? He can't tell me because his guy ordered it and can't find the paperwork or the container (not surprised) So here are some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dan the ranchero man

Suffered a little bumper damage as well. Might be hard to see in the photo but the chrome was scratched off down to the copper. here is also a shot of the axel clean up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is another shot of the mismatch in the rocker paint.

[​IMG]

9. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

This is really incredible that the shop is that incompetent! Doesn't the owner have any pride in his business or in his own name?

You've got to have legal recourse with such shoddy work... what are you looking to do?

10. Dan the ranchero man

paint still to thin

[​IMG]

You can see the total shade change here. the bottom of the fender is so thin you can see the black primer through it. the rocker shade is different from the door. At this point I am going to just put the car together and drive it. The paint still has plenty of swirls from the guy that buffed it. I am hoping that clay barring the car will remove most of them. If that works I will just have to settle for that until I work up the money and the energy to fix it the right way (repaint it again). LESSON LEARNED! DON'T USE THE CHEAPEST GUY OR THE FREIND OF A FREIND WITH ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!

11. Dan the ranchero man

I am not sure yet. I have talked to a couple of people and I was told 'YOU GOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR" a cheap paint job. The avarage paint job here is $4000- $7000 and I paid $2500 so be happy you even got your car back. I DON'T BUY THAT LINE FOR A SECOND! but it will cost money to go after him and I don't have an actual written contract. Sure I have all the photos but the paper work I have just says "paint job $2500 paid in full" and that is it. I was told that what I have would not have one leg to stand on in any court and if I did win I would just break even on legal cost and not have enough to fix the car. So I am not sure if that is the route I want to go yet. But I will spread the word of the aweful job and who did it.

12. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Sorry for your situation Dan.Here in the land of"sue me",you can file small claims up to 7500 for 50 bucks.No lawyers,judge makes call,but collecting is sometimes a problem.Hope you can recover something for all your effort in that sweet ride.You gave him plenty of time to make it right!

13. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You should post the dirtbags name and company info.
    It's not like you have to worry about him not showing up at your BBQ's.

14. Dan the ranchero man

Dirtbags name

I don't know do you think it would be nice to post D & S Auto body at 441 Irman Drive in Addison, IL 60101 (PH # 630 543 4410 ) and tell the world what a crap job they do? Naw I am too nice for that kind of thing :D.........NOT!!!

15. 72GTVA

Better Business Bureau, Angies List, local and state consumer protection organizations and any/all local or state bad business sites I could find would get a visit were it me. And I'd make sure the owner knew that he and his business had earned dishonorable mention.

I'd also call my insurance company and talk to the claims folks - not that you would file a claim mind you, but to make certain that they knew that you had a bad experience, that the work was substandard, and they would be well advised not to send any of their clients to that business.

16. airford1

airford1 In Maximum Overdrive

The guy should of known that his paint job wasn't going to be up the standards that you set with your detail work. When he saw the attention to detail he knew his work wasn't going to do the car justice and should of told you. The bummer is a new paint job is like a kid waiting for Christmas morning and then get a lump of coal. BUMMER.

Still it's hard to find a good painter to do the job in a timely manner. Sorry about the experiance.

17. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

If you google the shop's name you can find all sorts of references to your new found friend's business that has places for comments. This is where prospective customers can see what kind of experience they can expect. Some are auto body associations, dealer referral lists, and such. This is where you can do him the most good or in this case, can cause him some grief. This kind of listing has more clout than the BBB who is just a business compiling info. BBB doesn't tell details like the comment section of these lists where your personal experience can. This is where you can do some payback plus help other future customers.

18. billg72469

billg72469 In Fourth Gear

Hey Dan I don't care if he quoted you 2500 or25,000 to do the job the guy just saw the money and didn't give a rats behind what kind of work was done. If I would give a guy a price to do somthnig it would be right , maybe not perfect but right or I would fix it. Perfect cost more than OK and the guy knew it and didn't care , it realy sucks. I am glad the underside cleaned up ok, I think a driver can look as good under the car as on top. Your rear end looks great , I like the red diff, and all of it, sorry you had to experence the bad side of dealing with shops it hurts us alll when that happens.

D

19. Dan the ranchero man

happy news! :)

Well have been working on the clean up and all seems to be going pretty good. Dispite all the paint flaws the car doesn't look to bad. The engine bay clean up nice and I installed the inner fender seals. Here are a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car looks good here in the barn light. Hope the swirls went away I will not be able to see that until I can pull it into the sun.

20. 72GTVA

Get some 3M Imperial Hand Glaze - that it what I use to remove any fine scratches and swirl marks in clear coats. It is applied by hand, easy wipe on - wipe off. Check with 1979 Ranchero GT - he might know of a better product. McGuires No 7 Glaze is a close equivlent.