Ranchero/Montego update

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Dan the ranchero man, May 28, 2008.

1. Iron Mullet

Iron Mullet In Third Gear

I understand the recommendations to go after this guy, he certainly deserves it and there have been some interesting suggestions. But more than anything I respect the way you've kept your eye on the ball and stayed as positive as possible about your car. It's about enjoying a good drive in that car and its going to happen; your relentless efforts make that clear!

2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Use 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound p#06085 first, then use Machine Polish p#06064, and finish up with Ultrafine Machine Polish to finish with. The foam pads are numbers 05723, 05738, and 05733. They are color coded to the bottle of polish and the pads. Using wool pads burns buffing marks into the finish , foam pads don't. It might get pricey to buy but it should get the swirl marks out.

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking in terms of the minute scratches that are in the finish such as from washing and such. By all means, the buffing products noted are good to remove the deep stuff - for routine finish care I like the glazes...

4. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

3M Perfect-It 3000 Final Glaze is another option for hand polishing before waxing to get the minute scratches. The Ultra fine polish 3M #6068 is what we use now for minute scratches, but to get swirl marks that are burned in from a buffer use the 3 step polish with a foam pad. We use Meguiar's products also, but the 3M gets the swirls out.

5. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Thanks to both of you for your recomendations. I bought a swirl remover that I can use by hand. So far the car is looking really good. The haze and all the spider web scratches are gone. I still want to see the car in the sun But now I am feeling pretty good that it will look presentable. :D Thanks again Dan

6. Dan the ranchero man

Seats done !

seats came back from the shop and they look great!!! Here are a few photos...enjoy. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dan the ranchero man

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  8. Drifterr

Drifterr In Second Gear

Looking really good. Your attention to detail has made her a beauty!

9. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Dan You could have below the lower body line done in the correct darker color to blend it in and look like a 2 tone job...

PS I really like the seats they came out nice!

10. Dan the ranchero man

hood set up

Well folks I am still at it and I think we are real close to finishing this beast up! The only thing left now is to get some tires mounted on the new rims (spring time) and put the new wheels and tires on the car. Here are some shots of the hood insulation installed. I am also experimenting with a seal for the hood scoops that Ford/mercury never made. The reason is I did not want my new hood insulation trashed and I wanted to keep the engine bay somewhat clean if I was to get caught in the rain. I used some 1/8 round foam and ran a slit down the center. I used some trim adhesive to hold it in place. Not for the concours guys but for a nice cruiser/driver i think it will work fine. Let me know what you all think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dan the ranchero man

Shots of both scoops and hood insulation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks! :D

13. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Looks great! Give the split tubing a little time to settle out and work it gradually with your finger and it will soon conform without any ripples. Really does look good!

14. Ranchero Richard

Ranchero Richard SITE SUPPORTER- GOLD

Dan: The car looks great.
    I like the Insulation. From following your early posts, didn't you have to cut the
    the pattern yourself. I haven't found an exact replacement for my 73. and need to replace because of belt breakage which took out a chunk of my insulation.
    ;)

15. Dan the ranchero man

I DID have to cut the pattern myself. My buddy Tony gave me a hand and the two of us had it all ready in about 30 minutes. They seem to only make a precut for the 72 hood. I bought the 4x6 sheet from dearborn classics. Thanks for the compliment :)

16. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Dan,the seats are beautiful. I really am envious of your hood-it's killer. As for the insulation,is that a must have? My 77 has none and it's not the first vehicle I've owned without it. Do I need it?

17. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks for the compliments. No the insulation is not needed. I am going for a certain look with this ranchero so I wanted to do the insulation.

18. Dan the ranchero man

Cleaned up and went out!

Funny thing about this time of year one day it's nice (55 degrees) and 24 hours later its 17 degrees! The good news is all the snow melted and the salt was washed away with the rain. So when the temp dropped overnight the streets dried up nice and clean and it didn't snow!!! So that was my chance to take the ranchero out for a New Years drive. Went out to the post office (aprox 6 mile round trip) and back. She ran just awesome and the car was nice and warm inside despite the 17 degree temp with a 25-30 MPH wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dan the ranchero man

Center caps!!!

Center caps came in today. I decided to go with the red background since the black would still be backordered for quite sometime.

[​IMG]

20. Torkair

Torkair In Maximum Overdrive

Nice work there Dan!!! I bagged myself a full set of the MERCURY tailgate badges a couple days ago, busted one of the pegs off of the letter E though, but it's a FULL set :)