Ranchero Topper

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Dan the ranchero man, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Here is the story a while back I took an old ranchero topper off someone's hands. The thing was an old razor back style that has seen much better days. The unit would lift by actually bolting hinges right into the roof of the ranchero! (yuk) I am going to modify this thing so it will open from the center. I am also looking to install some sort of an opera window that would accept louvers (i.e mustang,70's can am) Here are some photos of what it looked like when I brought it home. The plan is to use it on the ranchero "MX" But it could maybe end up on the 74 we will see.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Dan the ranchero man

3. Dan the ranchero man

I would like to paint it the same color of the Ranchero MX (red garnet). but if it does end up on the 74 it would be white. I will need to find a window seal for the back window and something for the edge of the topper everything was dry rotted. The fiberglass is pretty beat but I am sure it can be repaired.

4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

That will look cool installed, are you going to use the bolts that hold the shock inspection cover down to fasten it?
    If you need any rubber trim to seal it let me know.

5. Dan the ranchero man

Full frame rancheros don't have shock inspection panels. I am going to use the tie downs inside the box to hold the top down. yes I will probably be needing some kind of seal (more that one) for varous things on the this thing. :)

6. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

I saw someone using a J bolt made out a threaded rod. It just hooked in to the tie down and then tighten down the top.

7. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Don't forget to mount a huge rear wing on that thing:rolleyes: My boy would love one of those things for his Ranchero, nice find Dan.

Just a thought but what if you painted it tan or gray then you could use it on either one and still look good.

8. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

executed correctly that thing will be KEWL...just a thought....you could remove the top section to match the rest of that angled portion and throw some fastback mustang louvers on it??? would get rid of that double window effect and would still look kewl with side louvers.

9. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

[​IMG]

Woody likes this.
  10. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That think screams 1970's!!!!

11. Dan the ranchero man

I like that idea but here is my plan (little different) I will leave the exsisting back widow and possibly have Ranchero MX eched in the glass. But the side windows I want to find something nice that would accept louvers. ( LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!) So my louvers would be on the sides not the back like the photo Paul posted (BTW VERY COOL!!). I was thinking about back louvers and still like the idea but finding something affordable is the key. I have decided to make (have already cut out topper/ photos soon) a back hatch that will lift up. I will be using the seals from a topper called a Bac flip.(ordered them today 25 ft roll) Once the seals come in I can start to see how this will all go together. I have also bought hinges/1x2 lumber for support/hardware. I have also found a place where I can buy a new locking handle. So it looks like I will be able to save this thing and make it look pretty nice. Some metioned I should go with a neutral color (tan/gray) so I can use it on either one of the rancheros. That is a very cool idea but the plan was to use it on the Red Ranchero MX so I am still leaning in the direction of body color with effects that make that topper for that car. Thanks so far everyone for comments and suggestions please keep em coming!! Take care Dan

12. Dan the ranchero man

That OK with me! I love the look.

13. TestDummy

That comment wasn't a cut down, I think it's cool as hell.

14. Dan the ranchero man

I didn't take it as one :)

15. Dan the ranchero man

first cuts!!!

Here are a few shots of the first cuts. All in all it went well but now I am waiting on some rubber seals so I can kind of "reverse engineer" this thing to work with what I have bought. But it might give you an idea of what I am up to. Also if the time allows I will drag my son out and I want to hit one of the bone yards in the area to see what kind of windows I can dig up that would look good in this thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know what some might be thinking about the "wing" look. That is so the gate clears when the hatch is open.

16. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

Dan
    It is cool to see the fastback topper project started. I'm glad you will be able to put it to good use.
    Tom

17. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

First I`ve seen of that design!!! I LIKE IT!!!
    It is looking like it`ll be a nice fit and adds a touch of custom also...
    I got one I`m working with too... It`s an 85(?) El Camino Protecto Top, it fit over Rustys` bed almost...
    I fastened it to the inside of the bed with self drilling/tapping screws through some HOmade brackets...I Haven`t figured out a hinge set up yet, I like your Idea of cutting the topper insteadda hinging to the Ranchero body, I`ll think on HowTo do that also...
    But Rustys` EFI project & "mission creep" projects took presidence over the keeping bed and tools dry ~ topper project...
    Fiberglas is easy to work with, ain`t it?........
    "I love it when a plan comes together"

18. Dan the ranchero man

fiber glass issues (will not cure)

Now I just finished working on both of the roadmasters and needed to do fiberglass work on both. Had NO trouble working with fiberglass. Now I am doing the topper and the stuff just will not set up (cure). I am mixing it the same way and the temp inside the shop is 72 degrees. Stuff just will not get hard (stays liquid) :(. I think I will need to go out and buy some new stuff. The stuff I have is not old bought it less than a year ago.

19. scbarger

scbarger Banner Maker

I had some bondo that did the same all of sudden it it would stay soft

20. TestDummy

Humidity has a lot to do with cure time also. Maybe the hardener loses something over time (evaporates)? That's gotta be frustrating.