Ranchero Topper

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Dan the ranchero man, Oct 31, 2012.

1. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looks good Dan, I know all about that prime, putty, prime putty, etc... and just when you think you have it you find another pin hole or something else.

2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Yea no kidding! I was priming with rattle cans at first ( stupid expensive). Now I went out and bought a QT of filler primer and will start shooting it myself. Should make the process a bit easier and cheaper.

3. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Make a mold of that for the '71 model, Lookin good

4. 72Ranchero

72Ranchero In First Gear

That looks really good ! You must have alot of patience, can imagine that it is alot of work to get everything smooth and looking as good as that

5. Dan the ranchero man

playing with scripts

I have set up the script layout I will use. Since I could not find the second Ranchero script I decided to one script on the tail of the hatch "Ranchero MX". I also had to upgrade the gas lifts to accomodate the extra weght of the body work. I have the thing ready for epoxy primer and then paint. I removed the plastic curtain since there is no ventalation. I will spray the rest with the cars out and the door cracked open from the bottom (about a foot) and see how it goes.I also bought the seal for the rear window from "steel rubber products" So here is what i have so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Awesome Dan!!

7. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Nothing to complain about here!:D

8. Dan the ranchero man

Topper Latch

Set up the Topper latch from the old parts that came with it. Had to cut and shorten the pull rods and installed all new hardware. Did not feel like reinventing the wheel on this one so just used what was there.

[​IMG]

9. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Those latches will work great, Just dont let the wife slam the lid down without turning the handle...

10. Dan the ranchero man

I am not worried about the wife..... Don't let DAN slam the lid down without turning the handle! (almost did that myself) Thinking about some kind of scuff plate to protect against that sort of thing.

11. azcolin

azcolin In Maximum Overdrive

looking great dan

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Great job Dan drill and tap the latch for rubber bumpers on the bottom

[​IMG]
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-sundry-bumpers/=maxs6y

13. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks Carl! That was kind of my plan (going to work on it today actually). I know I needed some sort of stop. Hey would you know where I can find a roof line seal for an old Gem top? I am thinking this would be my best bet for the roof line portion of the top. None of the Gem Top dealer I have contacted can help because of the age (some didn't even know what a ranchero was... no surprise).

14. Dan the ranchero man

Painting questions/pointers

OK guys I am almost to a point where I am ready to actually paint this thing (almost). I don't paint cars (toppers) I usually do everything up to that point and then hand the painting over to someone else. I plan on painting this one myself but now I am looking for some guidance before I spend money on paint. I will be using PPG base coat clear coat and Looking for some pointers. I am using a siphon feed gun so where is the best place to start for air pressure (range?). could filler primer be used after the epoxy primer(if needed)? and when should the clear be appied (time frame) after the paint goes on? I am guessing that a QT of paint should cover the entire topper...right? I am sure there may be other questions but this is what comes to mind right now. I am a first timer at this so be kind :). Thanks Dan

15. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Check with your paint supplier about adhesion to the gel coat if you use an epoxy primer. I have had no issues with solvent based filler primers on gel coat.
    A coat of sealer primer after the last sand will make the paint look a lot better than shooting over sanded primer.
    Ask your paint supplier for some of their errors (paint returned for color miss match) of the same type you are going to use as a base coat. You can get it real cheap.
    Buy an old hood and practice on it so you get the feel of proper gun speed so as to avoid runs or orange peel.

Are you going to use a urethane, or water based base coat?

16. Brian Loula

Brian Loula In Fourth Gear

Looking good so far Dan. Don't have any tips, good luck.

17. Dan the ranchero man

I will be using a urethane.

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Most all of the BC/CC systems I've used have an available circular that provides suggested pressures "at the gun" - base coat typically 35 lbs PSI and 35-40 lbs PSI for the clear. Ask the supplier to the information sheet - most suppliers are happy to oblige.

I run a pressure regulator at the gun with a 2' hose leader that has an air filter at the quick connect on all mine. With the trigger closed it shows compressor pressure, when you open the spray the gauge will show you what pressure is going through the gun. 35 PSI has been my staple for many years and many BC/CC paint jobs.

Is your gun HVLP? Those are a little different - in fact, I've not been enchanted with them as I don't feel like I get the material out of them like I do with the old standard devilbiss models.

The base coat sprays out like a laquer primer - and as hard to run with a properly set gun. I set up for a medium wet coat on the first pass, let it flash (about 10 minutes - it will look like a flat paint) and then recoat with full wet coats allowing about 20 minutes flash between coats. It is really pretty difficult to run the base coat.

The clear is a little harder. Medium wet coats and allow 20 - 30 minutes of flash time between coats. Use the masking paper technique below to help you gauge the amount of material you are laying down.

If if haven't painted in a while I will put up a couple of runs/sheets of masking paper on a vertical surface such as the shop wall and test my pattern and get my technique down before going whole hog on the car/panel(s). Keep the spray gun moving working about 50% overlap on your passes down the long axis of the panel.

Don't get too worried about a run in the clear - those can be wet sanded and buffed and never show.

More when to follow if I can get back to this and think of more to add.

19. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

kewl work Dan...good luck with the paint!!

20. Dan the ranchero man

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the help. I have not bought anything yet but the filler primer. But I am guess (hoping) in the next couple of weeks we will get the ball rolling and we will see what Dan can do with a spray gun! Dan the type of gun I am useing is the old school siphon feed (bottom feeder).