Ranchero Topper

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Dan the ranchero man, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

To answer that first question. Remember I am new at this and I was taking the recomendation of the "PRO" at the paint store. If I can save some time and money and not use the epoxy primer that would be great. I have a red oxide filler primer so the red garnet should cover very nicely. Been very busy with other things should be getting back to the topper in June. Thanks Dan

2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Maximum Overdrive

With the topper project brought up the other day I got wondering how your project is coming along or is it just gathering dust in the back corner?

3. Josh M

Josh M In Second Gear

Wow, this is awesome and I didn't know these even existed.

4. Dan the ranchero man

Right now money is very tight and I am working alot. The "PLAN" now would be to contiune in November. I still have "Other Family" obligations to take care of first. But I promise as soon as I get a green light I will let you guys know! :)

5. Dan the ranchero man

I hoping get at it soon! Thanksgiving weekend!

6. Dan the ranchero man

Update!

Bought more gasket seals for the topper yesterday. Hopfully this will be the last of the rubber products I will need to buy. Next week I am hoping to go out and buy the paint and clear I will need to get er done! Would really like to see this thing on the ranchero I know it has been about a year now since I started this project. Life has thrown me a lot of curves this year. Starting to get back on track :) Take care Dan

7. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

yeah...it can be hard to set aside time for nonessentials. Did the Calibers front disc pads 2 weeks ago, changed oil last week....this weekend will be rear drum shoes and spark plugs...OI all at once.

8. Dan the ranchero man

Going to locate a paint shop (one in town closed up) and then get some paint mixed. Going to try and get this done this weekend. My barn has been infested by box elder bugs. While harmless they can present a problem while spray painting! I have been working on this issue and have it almost handled. A couple more treatments and I should be good to go. Otherewise barn has been cleaned up and the peices are sitting and waiting on me. Hope to have some photos soon. Still can't get on the site all the time (Comcast will not let me trying to find how to reset security settings). Take care Dan

9. Dan the ranchero man

Topper Painted!!

Well painted the topper this morning. All went pretty well...... Almost. Paint layed down beautifully. Body work on topper was desent BUT my problem did not come from a technical issue. It came from Mother nature! Box elder bugs have been a problem here for years and with the temps in the 20's at night and 30's during the day I did not think i had much to worry about..... WRONG! After painting the topper about 15 min after they were comming out of every crack in that building. guess were they wanted to land??? Yep in my fresh paint! So now the topper looks like there is dirt in the paint. (it's bug legs. sigh) So I will wait for the paint to harden pull out my 1500 git sand and then polish it up. If anyone has a better idea please share. The photos I have look great and if it wansn't for my little six legged freinds landing in the paint I would have been done. I figured this could only happen to me anyway so I am laughing about it (kind of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  10. Dan the ranchero man

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope to get this thing buffed and clean up for the windows and seals tomorrow. Take care Dan

11. 72sport

72sport In Second Gear

Wow Dan That looks awesome. I'm glad you saved the topper from me.

12. pdw72

pdw72 In Maximum Overdrive

Can't wait to see it on the '79:cool:

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

True. That thing will look space-age. It may even make a 79 somewhat attractive.

14. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

No one will be able to understand what your vehicle is when you drive it now.

15. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

the Montego front end did that already..
    Looking great Dan!!!!!

16. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

The paint looks great, it laid down very well.
    Good job.

17. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

looks good Dan!

18. Dan the ranchero man

Moving along!

Thanks Guys! I am working on putting all the seals and windows in today. I had to have a peice of Poly cut today for the back window. The seal I bought did not have a large enough lip to catch lip on the topper. The window itself was a full 1 inch smaller than the window opening so laying it in like a windshield was out. But that IS the plan for the new window. Will be cut very close to size. Then I will put some kind of edging on the window and set it in like a windshield. Hope to have more photos up soon. Still having problems accessing the site at anytime I want (comcast setting thing). So sit tight more to come soon...... Take care Dan

19. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Great work on the topper, can't wait to see it installed and finished up.

20. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Is the topper on the 73' for sale in the 4 sale tread the same as you started out With Dan ?????:cool: