Ranchero VIN code

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jiiiiimmmmmm, May 12, 2008.

1. Jiiiiimmmmmm

Jiiiiimmmmmm In Overdrive

I thought I saw a whole listing under the VIN board that showed all the letters and numbers, but I can't find it there now.

Here is what is have. Any help will be much appreciated. It has a GT grill, clock and a/c, but it now that it is in my possession it looks like a put-together thing to me. That's what I get for buying online, I reckon. Trying to find out what it actually is.

VIN: 9K498105550

Door tag: Body 66C; Color C: Trim WA; DRES (hard to read?) 28H; DSO; axle 9; Trans U

Thanks.

2. Jiiiiimmmmmm

OK, looked around and that 8 in the VIN might be a B, according to some other sites. A Ranchero GT with a 240-6? I dunno, but maybe. It has 302 auto in it now, but it was something else originally, with a column shift and a clutch. LOL...found the clutch pedal wired down to the floorboard under the carpet.

Few pix...bed is nice, but it does have rust and dent issues. Pulled passenger carpet, and there is an extra hole where the floorboard should be. Torque boxes are OK, underside OK that I can see. Lucked out on the bed well, it has just a few pinholes on the right side. I cleaned all that and the bed out with a pressure washer before offloading it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the trail of two more, so this may turn out OK yet, if I can get the guy to just agree on a pickup time for them. If he doesn't come through, though, it looks like this one may be parted.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  3. Jiiiiimmmmmm

4. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

you could build something fun out of that thing! .. i really like the size of that particular model... it has nimble looking proportions ....not too small..and not overly ponderous..

5. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Are you sure it isn't an 'S'?

6. Jiiiiimmmmmm

Yeah, I love the way it looks too, Huevos, but it has some major issues with the floorboards, though, and other rust. It would take a 2 into 1 to fix it economically. I'd be tempted to go back with black, it looks great with the chrome. Have to see what the door tag decodes, though, since it has fenders that were once white, but has what looks to be metallic red under the paint in other body areas.

72 GTVA, I think it probably is S, a 390, but it has a 302 in it now that is not correct (has EGR valve). Too bad it turns out to be put-together, and rustier than I thought. But these are the risks one takes when buying off a set of pix.

7. Jiiiiimmmmmm

Found the VIN decoder here through a backdoor Google search:

9 = 69
    K = Kansas City
    49 = GT (good, not a clone)
    S = 390
    Production number: 105550

Now if someone here can decode the door tag, I'll know where I am on it. Could it be it was once a 390 4-speed column shift? WOW, that would be wild. I know it was column shift, and it does have the clutch pedal in it, so....

No tach, but has the clock option.

Thanks guys!

8. Jiiiiimmmmmm

I'm answering my own questions little by little.

According to the Fairlane Registry (http://www.fordfairlane.com/69codes.html), 66C was 1969 Ranchero GT with bench (I edited this; I had it as a D before); S is a 390 CID 4 bbl; C = Black Jade; 9 = 3.25:1 conventional rear; U = C6 auto; DSO = 71 = Los Angeles.

Can't find a WA code for the trim, though. Maybe someone can help with that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  9. HuevosRanchero

hah...a big block column shift 'chero is definately up on the cool/rare factor I would think..maybe you'll be able to 2 in 1 it if the other vehicles come through...

10. Jiiiiimmmmmm

Pretty wild, Huevos. I bought it in Missouri, but the DSO was LA, though it was built in Kansas City!

I am glad about the black jade. It looks good on it, I think. I don't know if I'll go back with a 390 (unless one of the others has an e-z pickins one), but I would like to redo the rest stock, as far as colors and all, if I can figure out the WA.

The dash was cut for a stereo (dang!) but it is in good shape otherwise. I'll just mount another stereo there, I guess, since this is supposed to wind up a runaround car and not a restoration. My parts cars will be '68s ... wrong a/c dashes.

11. HuevosRanchero

with gas the way it is for the forseeable future i dont blame you for going SB in a runabout car...and yeah..the color combo will look terrific.. ..besides the 302 is already there (hopefully rebuildable).....going back stick would def be the thing though.. :D

12. Jiiiiimmmmmm

It wasn't a stick originally; I found that out. It was a C6. But the thing has been redone a couple times, and apparently one of those time it had a stick cuz the clutch pedal is still in there. Geez.

It has slappers on the rear leaves, and the a/c was never replaced, so I'm thinking its later life was mostly dragging around the town square. Dig the crazy interior...Bleeeaaah!

[​IMG]

13. HuevosRanchero

def spent time as someones hot rod... going the restoration route would be pretty difficult at this point...but thats what makes Restomod so much fun...the stock flavor but with nice upgrades.. just Burger King it...and have it "Your way" :D

14. Denny

Denny In Maximum Overdrive

I agree, but probably at least one person here has already started making plans to re-do their interior just like that.:eek: Oh well, I guess if we all had the same taste the world would be a boring place.:D

15. Jiiiiimmmmmm

The interior can be stock again with a call to Dearborn or Autokrafters. It is the original seat. I have dash pads already. The cut dash, I can replace with a part from someone. That is no problem. The rust is the real work, where the other two Cheros could be a big help if I do get them, and it would be real work regardless of whether I did my own thing or restored it. From what I know about the other 2, both are in better shape. It all depends on getting parts vehicles, so we'll see what happens.

16. HuevosRanchero

fingers crossed then :D

17. Jiiiiimmmmmm

Just popping back in to let everyone know WA is black knit and/or black vinyl.

18. mont1le

mont1le In Second Gear

Hey. Jiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Congrats on your new GT.
    I have a twin to that Chero you got,GT 390,black jade (it is actually dark green) black vinyl, 71 DSO, C6 column, 3.25 9in' rear open, but I do not have AC wich is cool with me cause with the 390 the engine compartment would be way too crowded, and mine was built in Atlanta.
    An S@#t load of 390s were built and they are not hard to find I would put 1 back in there cause as you know not many GTs were produced and I do not know the #s for 390 production but it has to be a smaller % than 302 made chero GTs.
    How much did you pay for this beauty if you do not mind me asking?

I can see a lot of different things have been done to that car but it looks to be mostly there.
    Ranchero emblem were placed on the wrong place for 69 I wonder if it is cause it seems to be an early production car and it was done to 68 specs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008
  19. Jiiiiimmmmmm

mont1le, now you know why I PMed you all those questions about your rims!

Well, it wasn't much over scrap, but I probably paid a bit more than what I got for the 69 Chero, is all I will say publicly. But I knew it was low numbers and I bought it off puter pix, and a man has to take whatever he gets, then. I can part it out and come out about even or a little ahead, including fuel cost to go get it, if it came to that.

I'm picking up two inexpensive and supposedly rust-free '68s this weekend, so my average cost over all 3 will go way down. If one of those would happen to have factory a/c, that would be nice. If one has a 390, that would even be better.

Then a man has two '68 Fairlanes, too, he'd like to sell me as parts cars. Both have engines. If one of those was a 390, that'd be good. If one had a/c, that'd work. And I just talked to a guy with a 68 Torino who needs the grille parts but wants to know if I'll buy the rest off him. I have a C6 sitting in my barn right now.

I'd have bought the two cheaper 68 Rancheros and just left the 69 alone, except that the deal had been made and money had changed hands on the 69 before I knew about the 68s. The 69 will be a lot more work, but unless one of the 68s turns out to be a GT, I will likely part one of them to redo the 69, since it is a lower-numbers vehicle. If one of the 68s is a GT, then my work will be easier.

Nice to maybe be in the catbird's seat, after a long long time of looking for the right Ranchero. We'll see if it all comes togther this weekend or not. I can find '73 and up Cheros here all the time, but my area of interest is harder to locate.

Which Ranchero emblems are you talking about in the wrong place? Car was made Aug. 28...I assumed that was 1969, but could be '68...

The Chero came with a/c and clock. All the underhood a/c stuff has been removed. That's why I'd like to find an a/c parts car that still holds Freon. It was a really nice vehicle when new.

20. Jiiiiimmmmmm

I just went over and looked at your pix. Your badges are on the front fenders. Hmmm...looked at '68 pix, they are badged on the back, like mine.

That makes me wonder what VIN I'll find under the front fenders! The door and windshield VINs agree. But that doesn't mean it might not have been put together.

I thought sure this would be stuck, with the intake open to the elements...but nope...

[​IMG]