Ranchero Window felt kit change

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GRUMANIA, Dec 10, 2018.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

I`m just restoring a 72 Ranchero and most of the felt on the window seals is gone.Besides that the rubber/Plastic is heavily broken, asking for a replacement.
    I recently bought a feltkit from REPOPS which is of good quality, but before tearing out the old stuff, I need to get sure that reassembly is going to work without problems.Has anyone done this before, making pictures of the procedure or is there any video available.I know how this works on old Musangs but the Ranchero might call for another technique. Any special tools required ?
    Thanks for your help !
    Ilja $(KGrHqV,!mEE-m1E6OfLBPyP0E85)Q~~60_12.jpg

2. Jeff B.

Jeff B. In Second Gear GOLD MEMBER

I replaced the felts several years ago on my 74 using what sounds like the same kit (Repops). It was my first attempt. I followed the directions provided in the kit and it turned out nice, looks and performs like OEM to this day. Pretty straightforward. Good luck! BTW, nice Ranchero!

Mark Wiggins likes this.
  3. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I did this to my '67 F250 a few years ago. The only difficulty I had was in getting the old felt out. There are 4 - 5 "pegs" that insert into holes in the door, and some of the pegs didn't want to release. I was afraid of damaging the door by prying them out (I didn't). As I recall, the installation of the new parts worked pretty smoothly. Does the '72 still use felt? I thought the later trucks switched to rubber strips. I kind of wish I went with the rubber rather than the felt. No, it wouldn't have been "period" for my truck, but it would be more weather-proof.

Joseph

4. Jeff B.

Mine is rubber on the outside (weather side) with felt on the inside.

5. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Yes, rubber outside, felt inside. Thats really quality.
    I`m just concerned about "finding old holes for the pegs", that seems to be fiddly.
    Is removal of the door panels a must ? Or can the job be done without the remove of the window stop, to get the window in a lower position ?
    Thanks

6. Jeff B.

I’m not sure what you mean by “finding old holes for the pegs”. Maybe you’re talking about the tabs on the backside of the rubber trim? Clarify and I will see if I can help.

You have to remove the interior door panels to remove the old felts and install the new ones. If I recall correctly, they are attached with heavy wire staples. Cut or bend the old staples to remove the old trim and bend the new staples to attach the new trim to the panel.

7. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

The new felts have pre drilled holes for the staples ( I called these "pegs" before ).But Im concerned that old holes in the door do not align with the new ones in the felts.The instructions speek of using tooth picks to find old holes.Transferring these positions might be tricky, but maybe I just have luck and the new staple holes align perfectly with the existing holes.
    Many thanks !

8. Jeff B.

If the holes don’t line up I’m sure it wouldn’t be a big deal to make new ones in the felts.