Rancheros in the junkyard

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by handy_andy_cv64, Jan 2, 2021.

1. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hey, we don't need to know about your exploits behind closed doors!:eek:

Dave is working out the shipping details for a rear bumper for his '72, so I may be going back next weekend (only open 9-12 Sat & Sun). If you remind me Thursday or Friday, I'll let you know if I'm going.
    And SCR, if you also want a bumper, they're $150 (and no, they will not negotiate price) plus $18 for each bumper mount. Let me know by PM if you want to pursue this.

Saff54 likes this.
  2. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Andy, All 72-79 Ranchero REAR bumpers are the same even the brackets. On 72-73 wagon, only the face bar not the brackets will work. 74-77 wagon rear bumpers do not fit Rancheros, according to Ford part numbers. 78-79 the LTD II wagon was replaced by the Fairmont wagon.

3. handy_andy_cv64

Ah, OK, I thought Ford had a different design before '77, but then again, it's been 18 years since I sold the '74. But if they are all the same, that makes getting bumpers easier, wagons notwithstanding.

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

T-Bird 003.JPG T-Bird 001.JPG Hijacking the thread for a moment Andy. Actually looked close at that 69 T-Bird today and noticed two stickers on it you might know about. Pretty sure the owner was on a combat sub in group six. Think I'm guessing correctly ?

5. handy_andy_cv64

The top one is for Submarine Squadron Eighteen, which was active from 1943 to 1945, then was changed to SUBRON 13 in mid 1945, then apparently deactivated. So, I would concur that this car owner served aboard a sub during and/or just after WWII. COMSUBGRU 6 is likely what SUBRON 18 was attached to.

6. handy_andy_cv64

But yeah, those are pretty cool; stickers like this for those who served in the military always interest me.

7. Hillbilly

Got the car from up in the DC area, trying to piece together the ownership history. This might be an interesting history lesson before all is said and done.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, finding someone alive who served back then is getting harder and harder.

9. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

A general question, while things must vary from yard to yard, it appears you were allowed to "window" shop through the yard without one of the staff with you. in general, is this the way it is? I ask because about 10 years ago, while in Las Vegas I thought it would be neat to visit a junkyard and just look around. I followed the hotels directions (pre GPS) and got to a smaller (like a small city block) type yard. They told me they don't allow people to wonder though the yard for liability reasons. I had to have a part in mind and then a guy in the yard would take me in a golf cart to the part to see if I wanted it. They would remove it and bring the part and me back to the front desk. Just wondering. - thanks

10. Hillbilly

That varies from yard to yard, they all are free to set their liability rules as they wish. Being a frequent visitor and well known to the local yards, I have the luxury of stopping my truck near the front windows, waving to the counter folks, then driving myself on a yard tour until I find what I am hunting. I then remove whatever I was needing then stop at the office on the way out to show my bounty and pay up. It took many years to develop the trust needed to be able to roam those yards at will but by never cheating the owners they eased their requirements making my life much easier.

11. handy_andy_cv64

That could go at smaller, locally-owned yards, but chain-owned yards (for which a lot are u-pull-it yards anymore) won't give anyone that kind of trust, and of course, you sign away your ability to sue. However, there have been instances that skirted that. The incident that comes to mind, was the death of a 16-year-old Pull-a-Part employee about sixteen years ago. He was crushed by one of those A-frames used to remove engines and body assemblies. I saw the aftermath of the accident, he was moving a 460 and C6, and it appears to have been hanging too high up, so it swung, and toppled the rig, dropping the engine and trans on him. It was a huge deal, and the lawsuit by his parents was the likely reason Pull-a-Part was sold to Schnitzer Steel...so they could pay what the parents won in the lawsuit.

12. handy_andy_cv64

So, Dave has entrusted me with the money to buy a bumper this weekend and ship it to him. We'll see if I can score any sock discounts along with the bumper.

13. handy_andy_cv64

So Joe (Landyacht) and I went to the J/Y this morning, only to find out that his Comanche's engine fuel rail sprang a big leak. Luckily it didn't erupt into flame. So, no bumper, as we had to have it towed home, and I had to go along, otherwise I would've been stuck at the junkyard for several hours. So tomorrow, gonna try again, but we'll take my pickup.

14. handy_andy_cv64

Got the bumper and bracket, had to remove all the carriage bolts to remove the brackets, but someone used the wrong (smaller) size! Really, people, if you're buying hardware get the correct sizes!