Rattles

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by pbsdaddy, Feb 11, 2018.

1. pbsdaddy

pbsdaddy In Second Gear

I know rattles are a unique situation and trying to find, via a computer, is next to impossible. That said, I have a rattle that "appears" to be coming from high on the right side of the dash. Like, behind the glove box. The noise is louder inside the car than out, even though the headers are close. The wipers work fine. The heater box appears to be tight. What else is in the area that might come loose? it is not a light tap, it's pretty solid and very tinny. I'm thinking remove the defroster grate and look in from outside the windshield. Any other ideas?

2. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Glove box pops out in a few mins. Remove door. And sit in pass seat and root around while someone else drives.

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My 2010 Patriot had an annoying ticking sound when I got up to speed at the right side of the dash. Turns out it was a leaf trapped under the edge of the hood, tapping on the corner of the windshield. My daughters Scion made this humming sound at all times under the dash. I ended up finding a dead mouse family on top of the cabin filter, and the humming sound was mama's tail in the fan. What I'm saying is, it could be anything.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  4. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

What year is your Ranchero?
    On the '70-71 there are clips that hold the dash to the cowl by the windshield, there are little buffer strips that go between the clips and the body, without those it rattles.
    Do a test drive with a passenger to apply pressure to certain pars of the dash to locate the rattle.

5. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

you have a 1957 Ranchero , correct?????

6. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Get a mechanics stethoscope take off the probe and sit in the passenger seat and isolate it that way, amazing what you might hear, cheap man's radar.

7. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

When i first got my '73 blower fan used to make a god awful racket and vibrate terribly. I tore into it expecting to find motor bushings had gone bad, ended up with a handful of nuts that some critter had stuffed into the blower fan can.

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Oddly enough, mine stopped screeching, hums along, but at a slower pace. That parts car I raided, the blower motor was seized. And a tinny clatter started up a few months ago; that might be a heat shield somewhere on or around the exhaust.

9. pbsdaddy

pbsdaddy In Second Gear

Some good ideas, thanks. I have popped plenty of those cardboard glove box internals out. Having someone else drive is exactly what I need to do.

10. pbsdaddy

pbsdaddy In Second Gear

My truck is a 1965 with a 64 grille.

11. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

A couple of things in that area are the radio antenna and the heater fresh air inlet plenum. The top portion of the plenum has a metal ring with two tabs that are supposed to snap onto a couple of protrusions inside the cowl air inlet. It's kind of a sketchy attachment design, and my guess is that that has come loose.

New-1960-65-Falcon-Heater-Inlet-Collar-Futura-Ranchero.jpg

12. pbsdaddy

pbsdaddy In Second Gear

Good info, BB. I'll pay particular attention to those hoses and mounting points.

13. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Removing the glovebox liner as mentioned above will be the 1st step, and will give you better access to what's back there.