Re-arched or new?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Basstrix, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I'm working on my 72 mustang and I know the rear springs are tired. I'm looking into having them re-arched and installing new bushing, vs new.

Do any of you have experience with re-arched springs? I'm wondering if they will sag sooner and if they tend to fatigue/break sooner.

I haven't look at the cost difference...for all I know, it's a no-brainer to go with new.

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

3. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd get new.

pmrphil and ForistellFord like this.
  4. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

5. TestDummy

I bought mine at this place, which was down the road from where I worked. http://www.johnrspring.com/leafsprings.html

They have all the OEM specs, and build spring to order. It's been a while, and I knew a guy who knew a guy who worked there, but I don't think I paid more than $150 for the pair. Of course, I didn't have to worry about shipping either.

Basstrix and ForistellFord like this.
  6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Yes pretty good spring kits have put them on two mustangs a 65 convertible 6 cylinder car that was turned into a phantom Hertz rent a racer with a 5.0 EFI / T5 with 4 wheel disc brakes conversion Granada front Lincoln Versailles Rear. Funny thing is we did the 4 wheel disc conversion wile it still had the 6 cylinder in it and his daughter drove the car through high school.

Then used one of their kits on a 73 Mach1 351 c 4v both handled great.

Basstrix likes this.
  7. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Had "Springmenders" "rebuild" the leaf springs for my brother's '68 Mustang - and was NOT happy. The springs did not restore to correct ride height, in fact it introduced a pronounced high side on the right and the ride itself was terribly stiff. Took it back several times and they couldn't get it right. Ended up getting a new set of springs from NPD. Corrected the ride height and ride comfort level issues. Swore off rebuilt springs at that time.

When I built my '73 Mach 1 Mustang I went straight with new springs and then added a rear sway bar, handling package front springs and beefed up the front sway bar and KYB gas shocks on all four corners. Was extremely happy with that. FWIW - YMMV. Relating my experience only, try it at home under adult supervision only.

Basstrix likes this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The few resto car owners I talked to said that redoing springs was a mistake. One guy's rear leafs lost its arch within months; another had a coil break. I think you lose the characteristics when they're reheated, and that's a shame. It's like railroad rail...it has a high nickel content, so when it's made originally, it has flexibility, but as soon as trains roll over it, the nickel helps the steel harden over time, giving superior wear characteristics, but if the rail is heated to cherry-red, it loses its original characteristics.

9. TestDummy

If I learned anything from Forged In Fire it's that, even though they are great for making knives out of, leaf springs can also have microscopic cracks, which makes then prone to failure. And you can't see them until it's too late.

ForistellFord likes this.
  10. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I would go with new. I have had spring's re arched in the past and even the best guys couldn't get them right and they didn't last long.
    Greg