Rear speakers in a '65?

Discussion in 'Car and Home Audio' started by beerbelly, May 3, 2017.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I finally replaced my original AM radio with a RetroSound Laguna C AM/FM and some 6.5" Pioneer speakers in Rhino Fabrication kick panels. YUGE improvement, but I'd like more bass thump. No 1000W door-rattling monster, just some deeper thump. I'm wondering if there's some smallish subs that might fit behind the seats, considering I have a full-size spare on one side. I'd like to see some of your solutions.

IMG_7204.JPG

2. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Wish my dash looked that nice, in time it will happen. Going to put a simple AM FM with some good power, I have a lifetime membership with Sirius radio, fender antenna will be for looks only if I don't delete it all together.

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

BTW glad you found the connector you needed for under dash.

4. MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You need power to drive speakers. You can add power with a mini amp, then decide if you need a sub. Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood all make them. Super easy to install if you can do the wiring. At the same time, you won't get alot of thump from 6.5s. I've used both the Alpine and the Pioneers in various installs with nice results.

I put a Retro Zuma in mine. 2 JL 6x9s behind the seats driven with a 2 channel JL 100w amp. I also put 2 1.5s in the dash where the factory speaker sits (fab'd a frame) and use the head unit to drive those. Once I put some power to the 6x9s I got as much thump as is needed for my purposes.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. beerbelly

I doubt if I'll add a powered subwoofer; that's really more than I'm looking for. I just want to use the 4 speaker leads out of the head unit for some more 'oomph' and surround sound behind the seat.

I did some web surfing today, and I've decided to build a bazooka out of 4" dia. x 24" black ABS pipe with a speaker at each end. Ordered some Dayton Audio 4" midbass long-excursion speakers today, and picked up a 24" length of ABS. It fits perfectly up under the rear package shelf, with only 1/4" of the bottom edge showing. I'll have to offset it slightly to the driver's side to clear my full-size spare on the passenger side. Dayton recommends a .1 cu. ft. cabinet for a non-ported version; if my math is right that's 172 cu. inches, and the 24" tube will get me 150, which is pretty close.

I also added a 3.5mm extension cable in the dash for my iPod. Since I had removed the crappy old Deluxe dash and replaced it with a standard cluster, I had some holes available. I found a rubber grommet that fit the dash hole and the end of the cable perfectly, but the pressure needed to plug in the iPod caused the cable to slide back behind the dash after a few uses. I found a push nut at ACE hardware that grabs the cable snugly, not allowing it to move. Not entirely elegant, but absolutely functional. Kinda like my Ranchero (and me).

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 12.53.32 PM.png 3.5mm plug.JPG

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  6. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Nice

7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Overdrive

That's what I did but used 6" sonotube. Wasn't carrying a spare as never drove it more than 30 miles from home.

The sonotube worked well with a center baffle and fiberglas. And venting to allow good cone movement.

8. beerbelly

Hey plumcolr, that's good info. Any chance you could post a sketch of the inner details, the vent placement, etc.? I've got all my parts now, but haven't started assembling.

9. beerbelly

I went ahead and built the bazooka tube today, and it worked out great. Nice surround sound, with some good bass thump behind the seat. Really well balanced now, instead of the sound being trapped in the footwells. Those little 4" drivers are kind of amazing- I never would have thought speakers that small could sound that good.

I experimented with a baffle/no baffle between the speakers, and it's a much more powerful sound with the baffle; thanks plumcolr. I didn't do a vent, but that can always come later. I need to do a little reading on how to do it & where to place one.

IMG_7260.JPG IMG_7264.JPG IMG_7266.JPG

HuevosRanchero and Sophie948 like this.
  10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Super no Bazooka ,I have no idea when comes to sound changing items , old school radio speakers and wires

11. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

It would cost a Benjamin or more, but the under seat subs work very well.

12. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Beerbelly, you've got my thinking...:)

13. Ranchero Bob

Ranchero Bob In First Gear

I was looking at getting a Retrosound radio. Does that come with bluetooth?

14. beerbelly

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017